5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need advice on OBD1 codes I pulled on my 95 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:10 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red'N'Blk95GT
So if i buy a new fuse and enclosure piece and switch it out...will it work again? or would this have ruined my amp or anything if it grounded out?
this type of fuse doesnt say what ampage it is or anything. how do i determine what amp fuse to buy?
It should work fine,, You can test it if you use a jumper wire and go between the two posts just long enought to test it, I would not leave it jumped. I doubt the amp is ruined.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Red'N'Blk95GT

ok i will take a pic of the other side tomorrow, its dark out now. the other side just has the two screw posts with washers and nuts on them...but i will try the jumper wire also in the morning. thank u for your help
Old 04-30-2017, 08:59 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Seems kind of small, but yeah that looks like an auto-resetting circuit breaker.
Originally Posted by Red'N'Blk95GT
So if i buy a new fuse and enclosure piece and switch it out...will it work again?
Not so fast. All we've managed to do so far is notice something out of the ordinary. It might not even be the source of the problem. But it's a good guess, and it needs to be protected from touching other metal parts.

To check for a parasitic drain, whether it's coming from the amplifier circuit or somewhere else, you'll need to use a multimeter to test for amp-draw (actually, let's call it ampere-draw, so as not to get confused with your amplifier). With the key, lights, and everything else turned off, there should be no more than half an ampere keeping the clock time, radio presets, etc. alive.

It would also be a good idea to load-test the battery itself. Most auto parts stores can do that for free.

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 04-30-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:15 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

My only advice would be to invest in a decent multimeter. It's a very important tool that can help narrow down issue's like this in seconds. Saving you alot of money in the long run if your going to continue to work/maintain your own cars.

Good luck in the fix.....post back when you have more news.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Red'N'Blk95GT

So, I jumped the terminals for the amp, and it worked...I went back to the shop that installed it and they confirmed that piece was the "circuit breaker". I purchased a new one from them and installed it today. Good as new. The circuit breaker was supposed to be mounted to the metal body under the hood but had come off a while back. Thanks for the replies everyone 👍👍👍
Old 05-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Good to hear! So the amp works again... did that solve the battery drain issue, too?
Old 05-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Red'N'Blk95GT

Yes, the amp works again 😁. Good as new. I believe the battery was a completely unrelated issue. I may have shut the car off and the headlights were still on for a lil while that day, as I drive to work early morning, while its still dark out. When I arrive at work its light out lol. I forget the lights are on at that point. smh...
Old 05-04-2017, 08:05 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Glad to hear, thanks for the update.