5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Maximum Motorsports Panhard Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 07:57 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Figured I would update the thread to help somebody else out. It's been some time since this thread was posted, and I've made a few changes to the car. I found out that tires play a big role in whether your car spins straight or fishtails. Example: on my Nitto 555's, when you would break loose in 1st gear, it would fishtail left until it caught. I put on a set of my buddies Dunlop Star Spec tires ("extreme performance" street tires and the same size) that he claimed were "far superior to the 555s." They did have a little more traction (not much), but when they broke loose, they fish tailed left MUCH WORSE than the 555s. I decided screw it, and tried out the new 555 G2's. I put them on, and they do have better traction (by about 15%-20% if I had to put a number on it), but the biggest difference is when they spun, they spun straight! They would only fishtail a little when you dumped the clutch or tried to do a burnout, but it was marginal compared to what it used to do. 2nd gear no longer felt like I was dancing on the edge during WOT. Very nice improvement on that alone.

I also installed the panhard bar. Whoever says that it's a waste of time or it's for road racing only is misinformed. Even with my suspension as decent as it is, I still felt a very nice improvement. You would probably feel it more if you had a more stock suspension though, but that's just an observation. The car turns much more confidently, and you can feel it even at low speeds. I also noticed more grip during take offs, and my car no longer fish tails at all. Even when I dump the clutch. Between the tires and the panhard bar, I'd say my issue is fixed. I feel more confident adding more power, and I no longer feel the need to put a drag radial on my street car. I'm considering a torque arm bar in the future, but that might just be the cherry on top. I don't have a need for it at the moment, but "why not" is my thought. Bigger tires are always nice, but not always an option. This was my case, so I found a way to overcome it. I hope this helps somebody else in the future.

Last edited by yurizx6r; 02-25-2018 at 08:02 AM.