5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Removing or adjusting shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:49 AM
dimebagdrell

Default Removing or adjusting shift kit

I just bought a '95 vert and the guy told me it has a "high shift kit" on it, but didn't know what kind or any other info on it. It shifts really weird. If I try to start from normal D position, it shifts 1-2 at super high RPM, like 5k-6k, 2-3 shift is the same, but then to keep it in third is really tricky. I'm new to mustangs this is my 2nd one, but my first v8 and 5.0, but I'm farely handy. Is there a way to remove to shift kit back to stock? Or I know it's better to have a shift kit on, is there a way to adjust a shift kit so that it would shift more normal for daily driver use? My buddy also has an old GT sitting that has a perfectly good standard transmission, how big a deal would it be to swap a manual tranny in?
Old 05-22-2017, 04:29 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

The AODE is an electronically controlled transmission. A mild streetable reprogramming kit should not change the shift points to much, but a high reprogramming kit might. I suspect that is what has been done. I bet if you start in 1 and manual shift up through the gears you can make it shift at what ever rpm you choose. You need to know what kit was installed.

The high performance reprogramming kit is meant to be used as manual shift automatic. And is meant for use in vehicles with a O/D off switch. Try turning off the O/D button. Start in low and manually select the gears as you gradually apply throttle. When you get up to about 55 or 60 go ahead and select D, then turn on the O/D switch.

If you want to go back to stock, your going to need a new valve body since there have been holes drilled and different springs and valves used.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:54 PM
dimebagdrell

Ok I dig it, I did that and wow yea I see what they did there, after I got used to it I was second gear scratching all day. Question: are there any cons to using this for daily driving? If not I'll just keep it in there I think I could learn to like it. My Speedo needle is also jumping around, I'll do a bit of reading but I think there's a sensor in the tranny that can be replaced?
Old 05-23-2017, 02:51 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

No cons to it at all other than you need to get used to shifting the transmission manually. In fact high re programming kit includes the shift kit that actually helps prolong the transmission since it firms up the shifts.

Auto transmissions are designed to provide a smooth shifting experience for the driver. However to achieve this smooth shifting one of the drawbacks is that there must be some slippage of the clutches. This causes the transmission to wear out faster. A shift kit eliminates some of the slippage and wear on the clutches, but it causes the transmission to shift a lot firmer. So you give up some of the comforts of having a smooth transition between gears for less wear on the transmission with harder shifts.
Now since you say your speedo is jumping around, that could be a faulty speed sensor, or it could have a broken tooth on the speedo gear.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:36 AM
dimebagdrell

Something is jacked up I think. Today we were trying to drive it to get inspected, and my dad couldn't get it to work for 3rd gear and beyond. Down shift through 1-2 is fine, but when I try to go to D, even at 5100 rpm, it won't switch gears in me, so he had to like keep gunning it at high RPM to try to get it to switch gears and it would start to get hot, but it just wouldn't go, was acting like it had absolutely no power. Are we just not driving it correctly? I guess I'm gonna start looking for stock valvebodies in salvage, anyone know a good website for that kinda thing
Old 05-24-2017, 12:08 PM
dimebagdrell

I asked the guy I bought it from what kinda kit it was, he had no idea. Also before we left I added just a small amount of transmission fluid, like a quarter of a quart, don't know if that would affect it.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:18 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebagdrell
I asked the guy I bought it from what kinda kit it was, he had no idea. Also before we left I added just a small amount of transmission fluid, like a quarter of a quart, don't know if that would affect it.
was it low on fluid? Does the fluid look nice and red/clear or is it a dark dirty color, smell burnt or anything?

Since that guy cant tell you what shift kit is in the car I suspect your going to have to have the trans gone over by someone who knows about them.

And it may not even be the transmission, did you get the speedometer thing fixed yet? It may have a bad speed sensor, that can cause the trans to shift poorly as well.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:43 PM
dimebagdrell

Ok the mechanic said the tranny is fried, based on how burnt the oil was. So it looks like I'm going to have to get a tranny from salvage. But...My buddy has a 95 manual he said I can have his transmission. I've watched a couple videos and I think we can handle it. I don't want to buy the 1k$ kits I want to use everything from his mustang, what pieces might I be missing?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:36 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

What is fried? You could probably get it rebuilt for a couple hundred if it's just the bands or clutches. That being said I'm all for the manual trans. You need the brake/clutch pedal assembly, the harness, and possibly the computer; I'm not sure with sn95 cars.