5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1995 Ford Stock GT, auto trans

Old 05-23-2017, 09:05 AM
tbrown3500

Default 1995 Ford Stock GT, auto trans

Hello my name is Tim and I have a car problem.
The GT is stock. My wife bought it with about 20k miles. It now has about 94k.
A few months ago it started having an issue while driving. Specifically the throttle would act like it was choking out the car as soon as I shifted out of 1st.
Example: I'm driving down the road with the car in 1st gear. I can press the pedal slow, quick, gradual and the engine was correctly responsive. As soon as the car was in 2nd or Drive and I pressed the pedal the car would almost die. I could pull back to 1st or push up to Neutral and the pedal was responsive again. I took to a local non-dealer shop and no luck.

today the car stops and shuts off almost immediately unless I shoot starter fluid into the intake.
I have changed the fuel pump and have fuel pressure.
Error codes from reader: 2, 159, 10, 111 (repeat).
I have also changed the Mass Air Flow sensor.

Not sure what to try next
Old 05-23-2017, 06:31 PM
tbrown3500

Do you ever realize waaay after the fact that your thread heading stinks?
Old 05-24-2017, 07:04 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

How are you checking your fuel pressure ? How much fuel pressure do you have when it primes ? When it's running ? And does the pressure drop when the car dies and won't restart ?

The starting fluid verifies that you do have a fuel issue. Now we just have to narrow it down a little.

I'm not a SN guy so I'm not much help with the codes, but I believe your codes should all be 3 digit codes. Google will help get you a detailed list of code descriptions.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:20 AM
347mav

Default Fuel pump

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
How are you checking your fuel pressure ? How much fuel pressure do you have when it primes ? When it's running ? And does the pressure drop when the car dies and won't restart ?

The starting fluid verifies that you do have a fuel issue. Now we just have to narrow it down a little.

I'm not a SN guy so I'm not much help with the codes, but I believe your codes should all be 3 digit codes. Google will help get you a detailed list of code descriptions.
Is the fuel pump running? You should be able to hear it prime when you hit the key.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:42 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

DTC codes for the 94-95 GTs are triple digits. If you pull em again I suspect your gonna see some lean codes from the 02 sensors. Possibly even a random misfire code.

Run to Auto zone, rent/borrow a fuel pressure gauge, get a solid reading on what your fuel pressure is with the key on. Confirm that the pump is priming by listening for it when you turn the key on, if it is then replace fuel filter. Check fuel pressure again, verify if that solved the problem. If not,,, replace pump and sock filter in tank.

I am assuming the pump is making an attempt to prime but is either weak or the filter is over due to be changed. If the pump was completely dead it would not even try to start without spraying starting fluid.

Last edited by dawson1112; 05-28-2017 at 03:46 AM.

Search this Thread