5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

NEW BUILD after 10 years

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:27 PM
kgbk

Default NEW BUILD after 10 years

Hello all, glad to be back in the game.
I would like to get some advise on my current build.
88 ACS MCLAREN w/ trick flow stage 2, paxton supercharger 6 to 8 psi? stock bottom,30lb injectors with matching 76mm mass air to a 75mm throttle body, MSD and set to 12* ,full length headers with x pipe. Automatic trans, A9P ECU.

car is running pig rich with some shaking going on, plan on tuning over the weekend. any input would be great to help me along. thanks

Im not new to the game just out of practice.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:11 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

Have you pulled codes yet ?

And how do you know it's pig rich ? Wideband? Plug color, burning eyes ?

Shaking at idle ? While driving? At what RPM ?

More details the better when discribing an issue in a forum.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:33 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Ya I would like to know the same thing, how are you determining its rich? Alot of black smoke could be an indicator but you cant go by the smell.

Im going to go ahead an assume for all intent purposes, that the car is rich and idling poorly. The first thing I would do is verify correct fuel pressure, I am guessing that you have a high flow pump with an adjustable regulator. Im not sure who tuned your car for the paxton, but its not unheard of for people to crank up the fuel pressure in order to maintain a richer air/fuel mix even with low boost,, not the way to do it but some guys do.

Next I would make sure that there is absolutely no unmetered air getting into the combustion gas before the 02 sensors. Vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks can cause the computer to dump excess fuel to compensate for a condition that it sees as lean. Faulty fuel pressure regulator can cause it run rich also.
Sometimes even simply turning the MAF sensor a quarter to half turn in the pipe to change the location of the sample tube in the air stream can mean the difference between to much and too little fuel.

Barring any vacuum leaks or faulty sensors, I would go back into the tune and see whats going on with your fuel trim settings.