5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

95 gt issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:33 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
I started at the last post and read to here.

You need to stab it correctly. It may work this way but, I am sure you don't want your engine bay to look like a retard.

Do it like this. #1 should about pointed at your plenum bolt. Then you can use this pic to make sure your injector timing is correct.

EDIT: You want to follow the green line, not the red like the picture shows. So, stab the distributor exactly as pictured but have the #1 pointed at your right/passenger side plenum bolt. Not towards the firewall like pictured.

Pretty good, but, if I recall correctly, rotor rotation is COUNTERCLOCKWISE. That means if the green line is desirable, but the bowl is actually turned to where the red line lies, the SPARK will be ADVANCED, not RETARDED as stated on the image. Also, we're setting this thing up to obtain INITIAL SPARK ADVANCE, 10 degrees BTDC, not doing anything with Injector Timing which is controlled by the computer. imp
Old 07-28-2017, 05:49 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

There is a cast line on the bottom of the Dizzy, that should line up with a notch in the block. This is the factory and correct position of the distributor body. You line up the balancer notches to TDC then stab the dizzy in this position with the rotor pointing to #1. Then turn the body clockwise until the car will stay running with spout out. Put a light on it and aim for 10d before TDC. Its going to be somewhere between the yellow lines. Reinstall the spout and take it for a drive. Running Premium fuel you may be able to squeeze it to 12 btdc, this will give you a more crisp throttle and a bit more ponies up top. If you experience any pinging or knocking under throttle back the timing off until it quits. Do not operate these engines ( especially the 94-95 blocks ) if there is any pre ignition knock or ping. The 94-95 5.0 pistons and rods will not hold up long with ignition hammer.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:59 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by imp
Ought to be, but one thing comes to mind. '94 had only one O2 sensor per side, '95 had 2, on either end of both cats. Not really pertinent to cold start-up, but just wondering: Are the cats intact? imp
The 94-95 GTs only had upstream 02 sensors,, those cars did not monitor catalytic performance. The V6 models did though. It wasn't until 96 that the GTs went to an obd2 system and included catalytic monitoring sensors.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:13 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Originally Posted by imp
Pretty good, but, if I recall correctly, rotor rotation is COUNTERCLOCKWISE. That means if the green line is desirable, but the bowl is actually turned to where the red line lies, the SPARK will be ADVANCED, not RETARDED as stated on the image. Also, we're setting this thing up to obtain INITIAL SPARK ADVANCE, 10 degrees BTDC, not doing anything with Injector Timing which is controlled by the computer. imp
really? so how exactly does it know which injector to fire sir?

If you re-call correctly? The pic has an arrow drawn counter-clockwise that shows that.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 07-28-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Brad6080

Thats actually my main concern. Whether or not my injectors are firing at the correct time
Old 07-28-2017, 11:44 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

it should be fine if number 1 is after the stator magnet. I actually used to have mine a tooth the other way just so I could get to the ignition module on the side of the highway without having to move the dizzy.

But it is a lot easier to line up, knowing it is right, using the mark dawson referred to.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 07-28-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Brad6080

I'm probably going to swap intakes this weekend anyway. Found a gt40 i plan on putting on. I'll just correct the distributor when i reinstall it. Actually have a mallory billet distributor i picked up for it too but having a hard time finding a new gear for it. Didnt have one when i got it. Anyone know if the stock gear will interchange?