5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trick flow top end kit low power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 02:56 PM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

Default Trick flow top end kit low power?

Hey everyone I have a question about the inconsistent power of my trick flow stage one kit. The car runs flawlessly and not a hint of a performance issue. But I feel like when I did the rebuild, the power was intense and instant. Like neck breaking torque lol. Then it slowly got less and less until one day I thought about cleaning the bbk air filter. It was really dirty. I took the car out and immediately the power was back. But now a week or so later it just doesn't have what it did. Am I going crazy or is there something simple I am missing?
Old 06-29-2017, 06:31 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

have you pulled the plugs out? you may have a fuel pump going out or a filter clogged.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:54 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Did you oil the filter? Sometimes after you clean the filter and oil it, the oil residue can build up on the MAF and cause problems. Clean the MAF and see if it helps.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:02 PM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

I didn't oil the filter. To be honest I don't even know what that helps. But I'll check the plugs and fuel filter. It's not more than 3 years but it's a place to start
Old 06-30-2017, 06:31 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

You may want to pull codes to see if it has any stored. Then start with the basics...... vacuum leaks, battery cables clean and tight, especially the grounds, dizzy tight, fuel pressure steady, salt and pepper connections tight, clean MAF, sweep test the TPS,

Or.....could it be the age old dilemma where you mod a car and love the improvement, but then slowly get use to it and want more....? Forced induction is usually the next step lol.

Good luck
Old 06-30-2017, 06:54 AM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
You may want to pull codes to see if it has any stored. Then start with the basics...... vacuum leaks, battery cables clean and tight, especially the grounds, dizzy tight, fuel pressure steady, salt and pepper connections tight, clean MAF, sweep test the TPS,

Or.....could it be the age old dilemma where you mod a car and love the improvement, but then slowly get use to it and want more....? Forced induction is usually the next step lol.

Good luck
thanks for the Info. I stupidly forgot to mention i have already pulled codes and done the basic checks and cleaning. So that's why I was wondering if I'm crazy lol.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:52 PM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

im sorry to bring back an old thread here but i have a new symptom related to my seemingly low power issue. as stated before the car shows no driveability issues at all. However the car does now buck and jerk a little when i go WOT in 2nd gear. Im right in the power band at around 3500 rpm. When the car was feeling like it had power i dont remember it doing that. So ive checked the basic things, timing at 14 btdc, tps at .95, clean air filter. i dont have a fuel pressure gauge to test fuel pressure. im running the stock fuel pump. could my pump be getting weak under WOT? im getting a fuel pressure gauge but i just wanted to get some ideas from people
Old 07-20-2017, 06:33 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

If you pull number 5 plug after it does this, what does it look like?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:01 AM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

I'll check when I get home. What should I be looking for
Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

preferably a tan brown plug. If it is running lean, you may be able to look at the plug and tell.