5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I need help with coolant in cyl 8 and in upper intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:47 PM
Kford

Question I need help with coolant in cyl 8 and in upper intake

I have a 95 mustang gt with 5.0 . when it starts a lot of white smoke and u can see coolant coming out exhaust manifold from cyl 8. As its running it is sucking the radiator hoses closed when remove radiator hoses they open back up. After I removed trick flow upper intake the gasket had water all over it and had to dump water from intake. I know it points to head gasket or head but am very confused on why intake had a lot of water in it and why it was sucking the hoses closed. The water lines to egr have been disconnected so how could water be in intake . could the intake have a crack inside it. There is water in oil but only one cylinder has water coming from it please help with any suggestions.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:51 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

You muffed up your lower intake gasket ,, pull the upper and lower off and try again.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:13 PM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

I would run a compression test on cylinders 7 & 8.If compression is low in one or both cylinders,the head gasket is blown.A leaking intake gasket wont affect cylinder compression.Thats the easiest test to differentiate the two.Anytime Ive had an intake gasket leaking, my symptoms were coolant in the oil,fouled spark plug & a constant low coolant level in the radiator.A blown head gasket will normally cause overheating,low compression in 1 cylinder or 2 adjacent cylinders,fouled spark plug(s),white steamy smoke from tailpipe & bubbles in the radiator.You'll sometimes see the coolant level rise up,drop down,rise up,drop down inside the radiator with the engine idling.From my experience, the coolant level tends to drop more rapidly with a blown head gasket compared to an intake gasket.Ive been able to drive for several days with a leaking intake gasket before the coolant level dropped enough to cause issues,but not with a blown head gasket.
One things for sure though,try not to drive it until fixed.I waited a month to replace a leaking intake gasket and eventhough I was doing an oil change about once a week plus replacing the fouled spark plug too,my oil pressure began to drop to nothing at red lights and idle.Why?? That 30 days worth of coolant laced oil literally ate the surface off of my bearings.Instead of pulling the intake to replace a gasket after that 30 days,I was pulling the engine instead.

A clogged radiator, defective radiator cap and a clogged coolant reservoir tank hose can cause radiator hose collapse.If the cap is bad,restricting coolant flow,it can cause the water pump to create enough of a vacuum to collapse the lower radiator hose. If your hose has a spring or reinforcing coil inside of it and its lost or damaged,the lower hose could collapse at high speeds.

Last edited by wbrockstar; 11-09-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:28 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

When you installed the lower intake I bet you didnt use any rtv around the cooling ports between the head and intake. Or you messed up the gasket between them and its sucking coolant right into the intake. A head gasket that was bad enough to suck the hoses flat would not even allow the car to start. And it wouldnt push coolant up into the upper intake.