5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New member - need fuel system help

Old 01-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Shawn M Wilkins Jr

Default New member - need fuel system help

Hey guys,

My 86 was running until the last year and will not crank due to not getting fuel. As any fox body owner knows, when you turn the key to position 1 you hear the fuel pump prime and then it normally starts. Recently when I got in to crank it up there was no priming of the fuel pump so it will not start. It turns over like it is going to start but without fuel it just keeps trying.

I have checked the fuel re-set in the back hatch but I am a little lost after that. My research shows there may be a relay under the driver seat and possibly one more.

Anyone had the same issue? Please direct me to any thread as I apologize in advance being new to the forum and not being familiar with searching the forum yet.

Thanks in advance.
Shawn
Old 02-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Shawn M Wilkins Jr

Bump...no one has had fuel issues with their Fox?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:37 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilkins Jr
Hey guys,

My 86 was running until the last year and will not crank due to not getting fuel. As any fox body owner knows, when you turn the key to position 1 you hear the fuel pump prime and then it normally starts. Recently when I got in to crank it up there was no priming of the fuel pump so it will not start. It turns over like it is going to start but without fuel it just keeps trying.

I have checked the fuel re-set in the back hatch but I am a little lost after that. My research shows there may be a relay under the driver seat and possibly one more.

Anyone had the same issue? Please direct me to any thread as I apologize in advance being new to the forum and not being familiar with searching the forum yet.

Thanks in advance.
Shawn
Have you tried spraying a bit of starting fluid into the intake, then cranking to see if it fires on that? If yes, look for fuel supply trouble. Have you measured fuel pressure at the fuel rail? If low, look into filter restriction, or stuck open fuel pressure regulator. If pump fails to run at all, look at resetting the inertial fuel pump switch. On my '94 SN95, it's in the trunk. A red button pops up on top if it's tripped.

Filter not clogged, inertial switch closed, no pump, run temporary 12V + wire to pump connection at tank. If pump runs: suspect Fuel Pump Relay bad, or loss of continuity in wiring. Make sure ground connection coming from pump is good.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:13 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default New member - need fuel system help

Shawn, after installing the 331 stroker, with juice, in my 1987 Foxbody LX, I had your exact problem. Turns out with all the beenging and banging modifying the complete tubular front end and tricked out rear suspension ,much fabricating, I got no fuel pump response. Turns out we managed to break off a connection on the in the tank fuel pump. After investigating the break, it was just
"metal fatigue",of the hot wire, after a long lifetime. Corrected the situation and turned a 11.4 on the first pass. Hope this isn't your problem because I HATE dropping fuel tanks. Will soon be installing a "fuel cell" with Aeromotive A1000, #11101 external electric fuel pump. Already have other needed components for said modification.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:28 PM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

Heres the ultimate fuel pump diagnosis link.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-mustangs.html