5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine swap wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:42 PM
Aaron Schulte

Default Engine swap wiring help

I'm in the process of doing a motor swap from a 2.3 turbo to a 5.0 in a 1989 mustang lx notch. This winter I built the motor and got all the parts to make the switch other than the wiring which I'm working on now and need some help. The motor came from a 1989 lincoln mark vii lsc donor car. F1ZB 12A581 P260H-1F is the P/N of a harness I have in my parts stock(not from the Lincoln). Can you guys help me find out what year it's from and if it's worth trying to put into an 89. I've done some research and I think it's a 90-91 maf harness but I didn't find much info. Also from my research 1989 was a odd year wiring wise. Is this harness worth trying to use? I have the injector harness from the lincoln which i was planning on using, but the harness i have in my stock doesn't match the style plug connection to the lincolns fuel injector harness.

Last edited by Aaron Schulte; 02-17-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Aaron Schulte

Old 02-16-2018, 06:53 PM
Aaron Schulte

Old 02-16-2018, 11:05 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

I can tell you early EFI harnesses were all over the map. As I installed a '91 5.0 HO out of a Police Car using a harness of unknown origin, in my '70 Bronco, I quickly found out connectors differed, wire colors were inconsistent, lengths inappropriate, etc. Only way out of the maze was to obtain wiring diagrams, then following routing of wiring, cutting and patching back together many parts of the harness. I was pretty green, discouraged, ready to give up, but consistent thinking brought it together. I knew I had the electrical smarts, hell I had wired an entire TV from scratch.

Fully rewarding when that key turned and the 5.0 blasted to life!

Last edited by imp; 02-17-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:33 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine swap wiring help

Aaron, sometimes I get carried away and don't consider cost due to the fact that I have sponsors, but when I was building a 588 cid Dart Big Block to run in a 1941 ****** ,stretched, pick up truck, Painless Wiring (now Painless Performance Products), went out of their way to create a wiring harness for our specifications. I respect and trust this company to my fullest, and recently used their harness when installing a nasty 308 SBF in a LX. Give them a call at:817-244-6212. IMP is correct about these EFI harnesses. But remember IMP knows racing and I would let him wire my car anytime. But he is talented at this stuff. If you are not familiar with "Automotive Wiring" give Painless Wiring a shout.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:57 AM
Aaron Schulte

Buck I did look into painless...as you say if budget were no option I'd go that route but it's 600 just for the harness. I need an a9l also. I tried to prepare for the connector issue a bit...I didn't save the complete harness from the lincoln but i did save all the connectors knowing it would probably be an issue. I'm just having issues finding info about this harness in particular, even fords part website won't pull anything up. I'm gonna dive into my chilton and haynes diagrams later and see if that helps at all.

On a side note I'm not bad at wiring, although it's not my favorite job in the world. When I did the 2.3t swap, swapping pins and tracing wiring diagrams isn't that hard and after what seems like a million double checks it fired up first crank with no codes and no cel.

Last edited by Aaron Schulte; 02-17-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:28 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

I've had only mediocre results relying on Haynes and Chilton over the years. Have found Ford official wiring diagrams are best, most complete, no details left out, every single connector shown and pinned-out.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:01 PM
Aaron Schulte

I still can't figure it out. The only reference in the Chilton manual wiring is f1zb for 1991. Does it look like a 4 cyl harness? It doesn't have the 2 circular connections that plug into the fuel injection harness. I've been looking at the ones on eBay for 1991 and it doesn't look like a 5.0. I'm thinking it's for a 2.3 can anyone confirm.

Last edited by Aaron Schulte; 02-17-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:55 AM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

I sent a link to you via a pm that lists all of the numerous wiring harnesses and which ones are compatible between different year models.Some engine harnesses will only work on certain years because of how they connect to the body harness,that starts at the brake booster area then passes through the firewall and connects to the wiring near the pedals and kick panel. The guy that wrote this info doesnt like people to copy and paste it on forums because he feels like somebody else will remove his screenname from it and post it to take the credit for it,I guess,so thats why Im sending it via pm.
Youve definitely got a 91+ harness because of the part # listed F1ZB stands for=
91 Mustang.The easiest way to tell the 91+ harnesses apart is the 91 had the fuel pump relay located under the driver seat and a white cannon plug for the airbag.The 92-93 had the fuel pump relay & ac wot cutout relay
were located on the passenger strut tower near the maf sensor.You might have to get a 89 harness because a 89 engine harness has 2 8 pin cannon plugs at the brake booster(which pass through the firewall into the dash area) but a 91 harness only has 1 8 pin cannon plug at the brake booster area.IOW- the 91 harness will be missing one of the plugs needed that connects to the remaining cannon plug. If your harness is from a 92-93 model,it wont work either because it has the fuel pump relay located at the passenger fender so youll be missing the wiring that connects at the brake booster which feeds the under driver seat located fuel pump relay. Im not even a novice at wiring,so it can get confusing at times,so read the info in detail.
The following diagrams are for the 89-91 & 92-93 models, so youll know which year harness you have for sure.

88-91
92-93
Old 02-19-2018, 08:05 AM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aaron Schulte
I still can't figure it out. The only reference in the Chilton manual wiring is f1zb for 1991. Does it look like a 4 cyl harness? It doesn't have the 2 circular connections that plug into the fuel injection harness. I've been looking at the ones on eBay for 1991 and it doesn't look like a 5.0. I'm thinking it's for a 2.3 can anyone confirm.

Thats easy to tell between a 2.3 & 5.0
The 5.0 harness will have white/black 10 pin connectors.8 wires on the black plug are for 8 injectors.Do you see the following plugs on the harness? ? If no,its a 2.3 harness.

Quick Reply: Engine swap wiring help