5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 LX Won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 08:17 PM
Rakavick

Default 5.0 LX Won't crank

I tried to start the car and all I get is a click at the solenoid. The battery, starter are both new there's no power going to the starter is this a bad solenoid?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:22 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rakavick
I tried to start the car and all I get is a click at the solenoid. The battery, starter are both new there's no power going to the starter is this a bad solenoid?
Solenoid mounted on the inner fender? Clicks loudly, but no engine crank? Starter is new...... Hmmmm......The solenoid has a cable connected to it running down to the starter. Remove that cable from the solenoid, by removing the nut, take the cable end with your hand holding it tightly, and jab it forcefully against the connection with the cable coming from the battery. If the starter cranks the engine, the solenoid is shot. Be prepared for lots of sparks, as you are turning on and off an amount of elrectrical current in excess of that which runs your house. The sparks are unimportant (unless you have open gasoline sitting around). You can't get a shock!

If the engine does not crank, several other paths must be explored. Did the engine crank before the problem developed? Was the starter replaced and the engine is seized, unable to be turned over? History of engine symptoms, if any, just prior to this? Can the engine be turned over by hand? Using a breaker bar and socket wrench on front crank pulley? If no, Engine is seized up, least likely scenerio, but possible given degree of unknowns to me.

Now that your undivided attention has awareness, jump back to the beginning: commonest reason for a "click" of the solenoid and no crank is the battery terminals! Loosen and remove them both. Look at the inside of the holes where they encircle the battery terminals: if any blackening or burning is evident, you have likely found the culprit. Use a rat-tail file to file clean the inside of the terminals, and sandpaper strips to scratch clean the posts protruding from the battery, grease up those surfaces with vaseline or chassis grease, place terminals back on post and tighten. Now, start your engine. Come back if we haven't been fruitful. imp
Old 05-27-2018, 11:52 AM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

Heres a No Crank trouble shooting checklist that'll help you out.Once you open the link,skip to post 5 then begin reading.Ignore the thread title "bypass clutch safety switch" when you open the link.

(** Source ** Jrichker @ Stangnet)

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...switch.771363/

Last edited by wbrockstar; 05-27-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Rakavick

Originally Posted by Rakavick
I replaced the solenoid and still not cranking, I'm going to replace the ignition switch and see what happens.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:47 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

I guess having a new ign switch wouldn't hurt, but if the solenoid is clicking, then it's already receiving a signal from the ign switch...

Test, don't guess!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:57 PM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

Remove the red/blue wire from the small solenoid post and make sure it has close to battery voltage during start.If it passes,
the ignition switch & clutch safety switch are good.Now lay a screwdriver across the small solenoid post with the red/ blue wire
and the large solenoid post with the positive cable attached.The starter should turn over.Do the same to the two large posts.If the starter turns over,the starter and starter cable are good.If it clicks instead of turning over,loose/corroded connections are present.Check the entire length and end of each ground/starter cable,to make sure it hasnt been rubbing on anything to wear the insulation off.A bare spot touching metal will create excessive resistance and a possible short.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:51 AM
Rakavick

I put a new ignition switch in and now I'm not even getting a click at the solenoid. What else can I do??
Old 07-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Trace power. That link wbrockstar posted is pretty thorough (just missing some diagrams, but the procedure is still worth reading).

Do you have battery voltage at the solenoid?

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 07-05-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:03 PM
Rakavick

Yes I have voltage, the battery is new so it's not low on power. When I jump the solenoid the starter cranks like the battery is low, but the starter is also new. I only get a click at the solenoid when I jump it off of the small screw, but if I jump the two posts the starter cranks like the battery is low on power.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:26 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Is there any voltage drop between the battery and the solenoid before cranking? How much during cranking?

Quick Reply: 5.0 LX Won't crank