MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Bad Ignition coil? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/735262-bad-ignition-coil.html)

Sturm 08-12-2018 07:53 PM

Bad Ignition coil?

Put in Motorsport plug wires, motorcraft Ignition coil, Distributor cap and rotor. Run and Idles Great! Just have this buzzing and lite ticking from my Ignition coil area. Is my Ignition coil bad....

dawson1112 08-13-2018 08:27 AM

Open the hood at night in a dark area and start the car. If its jumping out of the wires or coil someplace you will be able to see it.

Sturm 08-13-2018 03:25 PM

Update:
Last night poped hood saw no arcing anywhere did the water bottle trick....I remembered I kept old one, swapped out old Ignition coil no buzzing or ticking. Never came across a very loud one? Bought it from rockauto did a warranty replacement.

Derf00 08-14-2018 01:59 PM

Yeah, it's possible the coil had insufficient insulating fluid in it. That would allow arcing inside the coil that would sound like buzzing. Good they swapped for you. Problem solved?

Sturm 08-15-2018 01:53 PM

Well got a new from rockauto in the mail. How COW this one is louder then the first one? It's just a OEM Ford part. On the box it says made from Poland...I really don't see that being a big deal. My stock orignal one is super quiet! I wonder if this is normal now? I'll try to get a hold of rockauto customer service. I've bought from them almost 7 years never an issue? Maybe I'll just keep the old one in.....

Urambo Tauro 08-15-2018 02:28 PM

I've heard of loose spark plugs causing this, where the noise was a symptom of spark taking an alternate path (one of least resistance). I would ask you to double-check all ignition-related electrical connections, but the way your old coil still seems to work quietly suggests that you've already narrowed it down.

yurizx6r 09-11-2018 01:45 PM

I have found the Screamin Demon coils to be very good. Worth the extra money. Had nothing but issues with MSD.

wbrockstar 09-14-2018 07:52 AM

Man,quality parts are getting hard to come by aren't they,whether they're manufactured here or overseas?? Luckily Ive never had a bad part from RockAuto because if you're working on your only vehicle or the only daily driver you've got,waiting days to get a part is bad enough,but to then have to turn around and ship that part back and wait on another one to arrive because it was defective,can really get someone in trouble.I read that the difference in the makeup of a part on something even as simple as a pcv valve,can differ greatly between brands.The flow rate/metering of air through a generic brand pcv valve vs the Motorcraft brand,was far enough off that a difference was seen.This is just one example.Electrical and engine management parts,like sensors,etc,are probably even more prone to variances between brands.The generic brand manufacturers must be using inferior quality components because how can an oem brand ignition module last from the time the car is new until the time it reaches 100-150k miles,then as soon as you replace it with a generic brand part,it goes out within months or sometimes days?? A lifetime warranty may sound enticing,but its no fun pulling the dash apart twice to replace a 1 month old heater core or collapsed lifter,etc,etc.It almost seems like they're cleaning the part up,to make it look new/remanufactured,but yet not replacing anything internal. Apparently they must do this to sell more parts to companies like Autozone, etc, but you'd think Autozone would get tired of replacing parts like they do on their generic brand stuff?? I could understand the generic part going out in half the time/mileage of the oem brand part,but months/days compared to years/hundreds of thousands of miles is way,way out of range.
BTW- Ive had success with Mallory coils and the Crane HI 6 cd ignition box and coil Summit use to sell in a package combo deal.
They don't list it now,but other suppliers should.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/mustang...9b0211dafd.jpg