5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1989 Mustang injectors won't pulse

Old 08-22-2018, 06:32 PM
Silvercracker99

Default 1989 Mustang injectors won't pulse

I have been all over the fourms and I can't seem to find anything that will help me. I hooked up a code reader and got the following codes: 67, 81, 82, 84, and 85. My car will crank all day long but it won't start. from what I have gathered, code 67 was my neutral safety? that I already had fixed. the plug for it was broken and it was plugged in a complete 180 degrees off, which has since been fixed. My EGR which I believe is code 84 has a capped vacuum hose on it which is my guess as to why its popping up. Lastly, code 85 If I was reading right has to do with my canister purge valve, but this car was originally a 2.3l so that wire is just open because there isn't anything to plug it into from the looks of things. Any help would be great, because I would love to have this car run! Thanks
Old 08-23-2018, 10:56 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I don't guess you have a spare distributor to try. It sounds like it may be the pip sensor.

with that said, there is a sequential checklist online for a no start condition.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,588.0.html
Old 08-24-2018, 10:26 AM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

Try this first.Remove the spout plug from the tfi harness and try starting it.If it starts with the spout plug removed,its definitely the pip sensor.If it doesn't start,the pip sensor may/may not be bad,but another test will be required to check it.Pull a harness off of the easiest to access injector.Turn the key on/engine off and use a multimeter to test the red injector wire for voltage.If 12volts isnt present,the EEC relay or its fusible link may be bad,the red Vpwr wire that supplies power to everything eec related on the engine with a red wire,needs to be traced for an open or computer pin 37/57 arent outputting voltage.If voltage is present at the red wire,spread a paperclip apart so you can insert it into one of the injector harness terminals,attach the alligator clip of a test light to the paperclip sticking out of the harness terminal,insert the test light probe into the other harness terminal then turn the key to start for a few seconds & crank the engine.The test light should be flashing.If it is NOT flashing, injector pulse is NOT present.If its flashing, search for another cause besides injector pulse.
To make sure its fuel related,pull the breather tube (between the valve cover & throttle body) off the throttle body port,spray carb cleaner or starting fluid
into the throttle body port,push the tube back onto the throttle body port and try starting the engine.If it starts & runs for a few seconds then dies,its a No Fuel issue. If it doesn't start at all,its a No Spark issue.

Code 84 is for the evr solenoid,so its nothing to worry about as long as youve got its vacuum ports/hoses plugged.
Code 85 is for the purge valve. Once again,no problem if vacuum hoses are plugged .I assume your carbon canister
and other smog components are either gone or were never there to begin with??
Code 67 can be logged from leaving the ac turned on,leaving the tranny in gear(instead of neutral) or not having the clutch pedal down while running the scan.If you left any of those things incorrect,that would've set the code.If code 67 is present,the ecm wont allow you to run the KOER scan because that code takes throttle control away from the driver,so it has to be corrected before doing the (KOER- running test) Was the code logged as a On Demand code or Continuous Memory code?? The first set of codes output are the OD codes and the second set are CM codes.Have you disconnected the battery to clear the codes after doing any parts replacement then run the tests again afterwards,to make sure code 67 wasnt logged due to operator error??

Last edited by wbrockstar; 08-24-2018 at 11:13 AM.