5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

If you ever have wondered about Flow American Thunders...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 01:19 AM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default If you ever have wondered about Flow American Thunders...

Two days ago I installed the Flowmaster American Thunders and if you ever have wondered

Is it too loud?

Does it improve anything?

Well here is what I think.

I have a completely stock 1993 Mustang GT conv with a K&N air filter and the air silencer removed. I found out that my stock mufflers had a huge hole. The hole was because the input pipe going into the muffler was rusted off so I had to get new mufflers.

I didn't know whether to get the American Thunder or the Force II. In my dilema I decided the American Thunder but was worried that I would have drone at highway speeds and it would be too loud.

After installing the mufflers (which was cake) I started the car up and hoped that it was louder than the stock exhaust but not deafning. Well to my surprise it sounded the same. I revved it and it sounded just a little deeper but the same as stock. I was kind of disappointed.

So I took it out for a drive to ease my mind. Around 2000RPM you can really hear that it is louder but not by much. Other than that it sounds just a little bit louder than stock.

This can be because of two reasons. My old stock exhaust was so rusted that all the chambers inside broke creating a non-chambered muffler. That is one reason. The second could be because I still have the stock H-pipe with the 4 cats.

So if you have a stock exhaust and want the American Thunder go for it. It gives it a little more rumble but is not much more than stock so it wont be too loud.

I cant really tell you if there was any seat of the pants improvement (well for me there was) only because I had this huge hole created a horrible torque number for my car. Fixing the hole with new exhaust solved that and gave me my power back.

There is alot of drone at highway speeds in 4th gear which is equivalent to cruising in 5th gear with 3.73 gears. So if you have gears and want A Thunders....expect a bad drone on the highway.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:41 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: If you ever have wondered about Flow American Thunders...

bigger "h" and better headers will be louder too.

my opinion (from a few diff cars i had) long tubes and off road w/ the 2 chambers are the best

and yeah, most for sure cuz your old ones were rusted open......probably popped a bit when you got on it then let up?
Old 10-30-2005, 07:02 AM
95whitecobra
2nd Gear Member

Take off the cats and it will be louder than stock. Just remember that the new delta flows are not as loud as the older orinal 40's.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:23 AM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

and give it some time. they will get louder over time. it takes a a little bit for them to break in.