5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

93 mustang WONT START!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 03:09 PM
Shane179y

Default 93 mustang WONT START!!

Hello im having problems with 1993 mustang gt, i bought this car as a project and was expecting there to be problems. when the key is turned the absolutely nothing happens, no lights, sounds, no nothing. we have replaced almost everything starter, battery, ignition switch, solenoid, and the key switch. we have jumped the car from the solenoid and it will turn over and idle for 3 seconds before what sounds like the car cutting its power. when the car is jumped from the solenoid all the lights on the dash come on and everything else comes on.
we have checked all the grounds and they seem in perfect condition.
Please if anyone has any knowledge on this please help i have worked for many hours on this car and am stumped at this point
Please help!!!
Old 12-09-2018, 10:03 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shane179y
Hello im having problems with 1993 mustang gt, i bought this car as a project and was expecting there to be problems. when the key is turned the absolutely nothing happens, no lights, sounds, no nothing. we have replaced almost everything starter, battery, ignition switch, solenoid, and the key switch. we have jumped the car from the solenoid and it will turn over and idle for 3 seconds before what sounds like the car cutting its power. when the car is jumped from the solenoid all the lights on the dash come on and everything else comes on.
we have checked all the grounds and they seem in perfect condition.
Please if anyone has any knowledge on this please help i have worked for many hours on this car and am stumped at this point
Please help!!!
When it turns over jumping directly to the starter, does the engine spin at what seems a normal rate? Starts and dies suggests a fuel problem separate from the starting problem. Have you looked into rot in the battery cables? I've had them turn the copper wires completely to green powder, inside the insulation, where it cannot be seen.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:08 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like it's time to break out a multimeter, or a test lamp at the very least. Find out how far voltage is getting, if it's even able to make a complete circuit at all.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:56 AM
Shane179y

Originally Posted by imp
When it turns over jumping directly to the starter, does the engine spin at what seems a normal rate? Starts and dies suggests a fuel problem separate from the starting problem. Have you looked into rot in the battery cables? I've had them turn the copper wires completely to green powder, inside the insulation, where it cannot be seen.
yes it seems to spin at a normal rate with no problem, although we havent checked the battery cables yet but they seem in good condition
thanks for the help
Old 12-10-2018, 05:58 AM
Shane179y

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Sounds like it's time to break out a multimeter, or a test lamp at the very least. Find out how far voltage is getting, if it's even able to make a complete circuit at all.
there is no voltage at the kay or fuse box or anywhere before the solenoid. any other good spots to check that could cause this?
Old 12-10-2018, 06:20 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

I'd start right at the battery cables and go from there. Grounds, fuses...
Old 12-10-2018, 06:42 AM
Shane179y

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
I'd start right at the battery cables and go from there. Grounds, fuses...
ok will do thanks for the help
Old 12-10-2018, 08:44 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

sure your distributor timing is way off?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:06 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Shane179y
there is no voltage at the kay or fuse box or anywhere before the solenoid. any other good spots to check that could cause this?
check the ignition switch mounted on top of the column, common issue, they'd separate causing contact issues
Old 12-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Shane179y

Originally Posted by mjr46
check the ignition switch mounted on top of the column, common issue, they'd separate causing contact issues
we changed that but dont have the small electrical clip rod thing could that cause the car to have no power?

Quick Reply: 93 mustang WONT START!!