MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Spark Plug Wires (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/736816-spark-plug-wires.html)

jeedee 02-14-2019 10:22 AM

Spark Plug Wires

1995, GT, Edelbrock Intake and Heads, Headers, MSD, CAI......looking for suggestions for replacing spark plug wires. Owned car since 2004...never changed wires, though I've only put 4000 miles on car since 2004. Having no problems, but wondered if wires degrade after so many years.
Thanx...…...Jeedee.

drhoward 02-14-2019 02:52 PM

Never hurts to change them, I've used accel and msd. I've never noticed much of a difference between the two some other members here might have a preference for one versus the other.

jeedee 02-14-2019 03:19 PM

Thanx for the input, drhoward. Have a few months 'til Spring to decide.

TrimDrip 02-14-2019 05:25 PM

I went with the numbered ones from ford racing after i sold the V3. I had msd wires before then.

drhoward 02-14-2019 06:01 PM

I had to use a custom length kit to clear my gt40p headers, in fact i think I have a couple of each on my car right now, lol (accel and msd that is)

Urambo Tauro 02-14-2019 07:11 PM

Good question. But your mileage and age figures are misleading, unless you're trying to say that the wires were replaced in 2004 and have only 4000 miles on them.

Without a good sense of age/mileage, the best advice I can offer is to inspect them. Check the wires visually for any cuts, cracks, tears, or burns. If they look ok, ohm them out. I wish I could tell you how many ohms per foot is acceptable, but the numbers that are coming up in a google search vary wildly, and I'm not seeing a spec in the manual either. Anybody else know?

wbrockstar 02-15-2019 06:49 AM

My Chiltons manual states to replace the wires after 50k miles or 60 months.For testing the wires for ohms value,remove the distributor cap,but leave the plug wires attached.Remove the wire from a spark plug then test it by touching one meter lead to the spark plug end of the wire while touching the other lead to the plug wires distributor cap post on the underside of the cap.The value should be 7000 ohms or less per foot of wire length.So if the wire is 1.5' long,resistance should be <10,500 ohms.Use this process to do the remaining wires.

jeedee 02-15-2019 10:16 AM

Thanx all for the replies. My GT has 88,000 miles on it. Don't know when/if the wires were ever changed. They look OK. Car sits all winter. Had to replace the rotor.....corrosion. So, I think that it wouldn't be an expensive job....so may as well do it. Will probably put the GT up for sale soon.....just don't drive it enough.
Again, thank you for all those replies.
Charlie.

wbrockstar 02-15-2019 04:48 PM

If its currently misfiring,hesitating,hard starting in damp weather or the plug wires are emitting blue arcs (start the car & while its idling use a spray bottle to lightly dampen the plug wires at night with the hood up & the hood light off),go ahead and replace them.If the car is running just fine and you're getting ready to sell it,I wouldn't bother spending any money on it thats not necessary.If an issue is present that could negatively affect the final outcome of the sale,because of how the car is running,that might require you to spend some cash before you attempt to sell it,otherwise I wouldn't bother.

jeedee 02-16-2019 07:43 AM

Yeah....I've thought of that, wbrockstar. Each Spring, I put the battery in, and vroom......fires right up. Just one more Summer....heh....it's such a good runner....no misses, no arcing, etc. Funny, how someone could get attached to a car.
Thanx for the reply.