Notices
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine wiring harness delete ?? Help

Old 02-27-2019, 07:34 PM
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member

you will have to buy a box. the ignition module is mounted on the distributor you have.

edit: you could relocate that module, but you are still gonna need the computer then

Last edited by TrimDrip; 02-27-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:12 PM
wbrockstar
2nd Gear Member

Start the engine and check timing with a light.Leave it running,pull the spout plug and check timing again.Did timing decrease by 10+,when you removed the spout plug??If yes,that means the ecu is still in place & working.
Example: If timing was at 25 then dropped to 10-15 after you removed the spout plug, that indicates the ecu is still controlling timing advance,otherwise timing would have remained fixed at 25 when the spout plug was removed.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:31 AM
Jeffreycobra

Originally Posted by wbrockstar View Post
Start the engine and check timing with a light.Leave it running,pull the spout plug and check timing again.Did timing decrease by 10+,when you removed the spout plug??If yes,that means the ecu is still in place & working.
Example: If timing was at 25 then dropped to 10-15 after you removed the spout plug, that indicates the ecu is still controlling timing advance,otherwise timing would have remained fixed at 25 when the spout plug was removed.
I will do that as soon as I get a decent enough day to drive it over to my buddys heated garage. My garage is hardly big enough to pull the car in and squeeze in and out of the car.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:35 AM
Jeffreycobra

Originally Posted by TrimDrip View Post
you will have to buy a box. the ignition module is mounted on the distributor you have.

edit: you could relocate that module, but you are still gonna need the computer then
okay. I guess that will be coming before my AFRs Luckily my cousin owns a highly reputable engine shop so ordering parts is quick, easy, and sometimes cheaper. Any specific distributor/ coil combo you recommend? Yes the one on it works now but while Im in the messing with that stuff Id rather put new/ updated stuff in for peace of mind!
Old 02-28-2019, 06:10 AM
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member

honestly, unless you are going to spin the engine to the moon, an oem distributor will do fine. I have seen some pretty quick cars with a stock dizzy. Personally, I have been running a cheap parts store dizzy, with an upgraded cap and rotary button for years now.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:26 PM
wbrockstar
2nd Gear Member

In my opinion,the only time you need to run an aftermarket ignition box & distributor is when you're running a supercharger,turbo, high compression or nitrous.The excessive influx of airflow can blow out the spark from the spark plug on a SC or TC application with the stock ignition.Thats also the reason why the gap has to be narrowed from 0.54" to 0.32" on the spark plug.An ignition box can also be used to retard timing by a specific number of degrees (adjustable) per psi of boost,which usually reduces the chance for detonation.MSD products have become hit or miss nowadays in the dependability dept & quality,so if it was mine,I would just buy whatever new/reman brand of distributor comes factory on a 85 5.0 carbed Mustang, but if youre set on buying an aftermarket piece & you don't wanna chance a MSD unit,Crane makes a good one for non efi setups,I believe.Make 100% sure it has a steel gear to hold up to the roller cam.Keep in mind,youre also gonna have to buy a Duraspark ignition box,coil and whatever wiring harnesses are needed for that application,if you switch to this type of distributor.Unfortunately,I know nothing about the Duraspark system or how its wired,so youll have to do some online research to learn what has to be done.If you can't find that info on this site,Id recommend FourEyedPride since theyre dedicated more to the 85 & older models.However I most definitely would check the timing with a light first and do the spout plug removal,to make sure the ecu is not still in control.Plus,if you find out its still being used,chances are high that its likely controlling the fuel system too. If you were to yank the ecu & harnesses out before checking,you'd be pissed once you got them out and then realized the engine no longer starts or runs.

Open the link below,scroll to post #10 & read his insight about the topics weve discussed. JR is as smart/knowledgeable as they come on Foxbody Mustangs.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...my-5-0.794214/

Last edited by wbrockstar; 02-28-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:31 PM
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member

the msd dizzy i bought about 10 years ago lasted about 6 years. However, all the parts inside looked like standard parts. Granted this was an efi distributor. The others I don't know about.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:45 PM
wbrockstar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip View Post
the msd dizzy i bought about 10 years ago lasted about 6 years. However, all the parts inside looked like standard parts. Granted this was an efi distributor. The others I don't know about.
MSD products were totally different 10 years ago.Its within the last few years when their quality started to diminish from some of the materials being made and manufactured in China.Counterfeit ignition boxes have even been found coming out of China.The link below talks about that issue.Now if you could buy just a MSD distributor housing with shaft and bearings already installed then drop a Motorcraft pip sensor & tfi module into that housing,you'd have a nice distributor.

https://bangshift.com/general-news/s...ion-vs-a-fake/