5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A9L? Where to buy or refurbish

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 05:23 PM
HarshFyasko66

Default A9L? Where to buy or refurbish

Just like the title says. I own a 90 lx 5speed mild upgrades stock block. Have been hunting this issue down for awhile now through this forum and others. Just got back from a few months training in other states. My car currently shows a low temperature on the gauge even tho I know it has warmed up; along with the blinkers started to only intermittently blink at random when turned on. The biggest issue is that when giving throttle the car may miss/ backfire with a pop clearly coming from the intake. Now this only happens at lower RPMs with an occasional miss at higher RPMs. The battery died so had it charged which it only took about 80% of the charge. But I noticed that since the better was disconnected for a good amount of time the ECM cleared its memory. When I reconnected the battery it ran fine for awhile then the computer started to read more of the sensor data and caused the issues to return.
Now I know someone is going to tell me to check voltages and wiring and grounding and to check my timing. But I have literally done all of it before I left for training. I did replace my O2 sensors since the previous owner did a hack job on the wiring. I have checked fuel pressure, injectors, replace fuel pump, and filter.
Come to the possibility that maybe my A9L computer is just going bad. Any thoughts ? Places to check for a new one or can I get my refurbished?
Old 05-06-2019, 07:04 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

have you tried spraying something around the intake and under the plenum to check for vacuum leaks?
Old 05-06-2019, 11:02 PM
HarshFyasko66

Yes and made a little make shift smoker to blow a small stream of smoke into the intake to help see any leaks. A very little amount came out of the oil cap but just added a new rubber O-ring and fixed the slight leak.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:08 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HarshFyasko66
Just like the title says. I own a 90 lx 5speed mild upgrades stock block. Have been hunting this issue down for awhile now through this forum and others. Just got back from a few months training in other states. My car currently shows a low temperature on the gauge even tho I know it has warmed up; along with the blinkers started to only intermittently blink at random when turned on. The biggest issue is that when giving throttle the car may miss/ backfire with a pop clearly coming from the intake. Now this only happens at lower RPMs with an occasional miss at higher RPMs. The battery died so had it charged which it only took about 80% of the charge. But I noticed that since the better was disconnected for a good amount of time the ECM cleared its memory. When I reconnected the battery it ran fine for awhile then the computer started to read more of the sensor data and caused the issues to return.
Now I know someone is going to tell me to check voltages and wiring and grounding and to check my timing. But I have literally done all of it before I left for training. I did replace my O2 sensors since the previous owner did a hack job on the wiring. I have checked fuel pressure, injectors, replace fuel pump, and filter.
Come to the possibility that maybe my A9L computer is just going bad. Any thoughts ? Places to check for a new one or can I get my refurbished?
You can get a rebuilt computer here:

https://www.fs1inc.com/

Mine cost $150. imp
Old 05-07-2019, 05:09 AM
HarshFyasko66

That link only offers it for 94 and up. Will that work for my 90?
Old 05-07-2019, 06:12 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

no, they belong to different families.

do you have a miss at wide open throttle or just a higher rpm? if you unplug the 02 sensors, how does the car run?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:49 AM
john89gt
1st Gear Member

Cardone will rebuild the ECM. I took my ECM to the local NAPA and they sent it off to Cardone for me. It was $138 for rebuild + $25 for shipping + Taxes= $168 out the door. The repair took about 10 days from me dropping the ECM off to picking it up. I tried having a computer store repair it, but that didn't work out(Lesson Learned). Did you try another computer? I would try another computer first. My issue was the car would just spit and sputter at initial start, but not fully crank and run. I borrowed an ECM from a friend and presto my Mustang ran fine. I would try another computer before I just started throwing money at problems. Nothing worse than spending money and the part you bought didn't fix the problem. It sounds from your description that you've checked the fuel system and timing, have you checked the plug wires, coil, distributor,etc?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:22 PM
HarshFyasko66

I have tried using a whole new distributor but nothing changed . I replaced the cap and rotor with MSD ones along with all MSD plug wires and had originally went with NGK plugs but had a set of motor craft laying around but made no change when swapped out. As for the O2 sensors I haven’t tried running it with them unplugged. What is that supposed to check? Also don’t think I have mentioned it on here yet but I also have no CEL.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:34 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Originally Posted by HarshFyasko66
As for the O2 sensors I haven’t tried running it with them unplugged. What is that supposed to check? .

how good you fixed the hackjob. you sure the bulb works for the cel?
Old 05-09-2019, 04:29 PM
HarshFyasko66

It was working before but now that you mention it Hasnt come on since the blinkers started to act up. I will run my reader to see what I get.

Quick Reply: A9L? Where to buy or refurbish