5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

89 5.0 COMPUTER UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 05:49 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
A9L is programmed from the factory to 19lb injectors. I am not familiar with the bbk meter, but i assume it is a pre-calibrated meter that is trying to trick the computer into fueling correctly.

Idle issues are normally a problem with a pre-cal'd meter and no tuning device.

Do you have the maf transfer data? You may need that when you get the quarterhorse
; The whole danged problem just may be the PCM: '93 Cobra came factory-equipped with 24# injectors, and a different PCM was used; this setup was sold by Ford Motorsports as a kit to retrofit mass air on speed density cars, among other conversions. I used it to power a 5.8L.

The Ford part number for '93 Cobra 5.0 HO PCM is F3ZF-12A650-CA .
Old 06-18-2019, 06:20 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I bet buying a quarterhorse would be cheaper than buying an x3z computer. Then, there is still the fact that the 93 cobra engine is a different engine than the 86 5.0. It may still run off a bit. Probably not much, but it could.

Also, I have the .bin file for the 93 cobra computer, so his a9l would pretty much be a x3z computer, if he wanted to try it. He would still have to buy the right maf meter if he did that though.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:29 AM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

A9L is programmed from the factory to 19lb injectors. I am not familiar with the bbk meter, but i assume it is a pre-calibrated meter that is trying to trick the computer into fueling correctly.

Idle issues are normally a problem with a pre-cal'd meter and no tuning device.

Do you have the maf transfer data? You may need that when you get the quarterhorse
The engine builder was here with his computer program tool to monitor and test circuits. I do not know for sure what numbers he was reading.

As for the other info on the x3z cobra computer and or bin file, or the Quarter horse, I'll pass that along to the owner for his choice.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:22 AM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

I checked a few numbers yesterday for the BBK MAF (#8005) and the injectors. Since the BBK unit stated "for 30# injectors", I had to get to the injectors and check their numbers (remember the builder told me they were 24#). They too are 30# (stamped in the rim of the injector), so they are a matched set. That would eliminate the variable of the 2 not having correct flow patterns.

I will have to check the throttle body IAC and see if it is correct for the 30# set up.

Little steps and we'll get it figured out.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:12 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Not all injectors are created equal, even though they all may be rated at #30 pounds. If BBK tuned a pre-calibration in the meter, you will want to use the exact same injectors they used. Otherwise, you may have some problems.

Here is the data for a discontinued #30 pound Ford injector at 39.5 psi. See I used the word discontinued.

Here is the data for a Pro-M #30 injector at a fuel pressure of 39.5 psi

I would post up the data for what the A9L is programmed with, but it is on my computer that I tune with and I don't want to go through the trouble. I promise you, it is way different than the two above...

the point is though, BBK tuned an engine with a specific #30 injector, you will want to make sure you have that injector so you can have an engine run as good as theirs did.

Honestly, with what you described, you are probably gonna have to bring the idle up to ever get it to run correctly with a cam.

I told you to do all that stuff earlier to see if the car would idle without learned trims, without the IAC letting extra are in, without the computer adding timing, and without the tps giving a flag that the throttle blade is open. You said yourself that you moved the tps, are you sure the computer knows that you aren't sitting there with your foot on the pedal?

Last edited by TrimDrip; 06-20-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:59 AM
SSRFUZZY
1st Gear Member

Not all injectors are created equal, even though they all may be rated at #30 pounds. If BBK tuned a pre-calibration in the meter, you will want to use the exact same injectors they used. Otherwise, you may have some problems.

Here is the data for a discontinued #30 pound Ford injector at 39.5 psi. See I used the word discontinued.

Here is the data for a Pro-M #30 injector at a fuel pressure of 39.5 psi

I would post up the data for what the A9L is programmed with, but it is on my computer that I tune with and I don't want to go through the trouble. I promise you, it is way different than the two above...

the point is though, BBK tuned an engine with a specific #30 injector, you will want to make sure you have that injector so you can have an engine run as good as theirs did.

Honestly, with what you described, you are probably gonna have to bring the idle up to ever get it to run correctly with a cam.

I told you to do all that stuff earlier to see if the car would idle without learned trims, without the IAC letting extra are in, without the computer adding timing, and without the tps giving a flag that the throttle blade is open. You said yourself that you moved the tps, are you sure the computer knows that you aren't sitting there with your foot on the pedal?
The BBK MAF, cold air intake, and injectors were supposedly ordered as a matched set (according to the engine builder).
The builder had changed timing as well as few other parameters while he was there and got it to run as well as it is. Only he knows what the readouts were as I never looked at the screen. Unfortunately right now he is off hiking in the mountains with the Boy scouts for the next 2 weeks and then off to the National Jamboree to teach for another 2 two weeks.

So for now I'm just varifying everything I can (without a computer tuner). and gathering as much info as I can for when he gets back.