5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Piston choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 09:47 AM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Piston choices

so this project has taken longer then i expected, and its already almost christmas which means ill be dropping atleast 500 on family.
i have this 308 i was doing, all thats left is to do the motor. its a stock rebuild with really low miles i got out of a parts car. i was planning on putting some new forged rods/pistons in it, but now that i look at prices and i look at my lack of christmas savings, im thinking maybe i should just go the cheaper route and get some Hypereutectic Pistons. Keith Black sells Hyper. Dome pistons for cheap. thinking about just skuffing the cyl. walls and putting new pistons rods in and calling it a day.
i dont plan on spraying the car, has a 4.30 gear so i cant anyway. car is gonna just have a set of GT40P's, maybe ported depending on tax returns, custom cam, rpm carb intake etc. will probly see 6-6500rpm.
I dont expect it to be a rock solid motor, **** if i could get a full season out of it i'll be happy, just sick of sitting on the side-lines.
let me know what ya guys think.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Piston choices

I was just in this situation, I went with Speed Pro forged pistosns because I am going to be running some boost in the near future, as long as you stay N/A you will have no problems with Hyper Pistsons, they are nots as "durable" as forged no matter how you look at it but if your setup right with no detonation they will stand the test of time.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:06 PM
pacepony
2nd Gear Member

if i was you i would wait and get what i wanted. there is a reason why forged cost more, its because they are better. hyper will be fine if you dont get out of hand with the build but dont every change your mind and try to put the bottle on it
Old 10-31-2005, 02:00 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

this is a temporary build. i just want a little street car out that i can run around and mess around with.
i wont be spraying it, im too impatient and dont have the cashflow to break parts.
found a set of KB Hypers. domed, $240 total in oposed to 5-6**$$ for forged.
im thinkin screw it, just wanna get the car out.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:16 PM
pacepony
2nd Gear Member

remember, with a temp build you are throwing away money. gaskets, head bolts, pistons, rings, maybe bearings, probally more machine work if you want a better motor later on, so it will seal right. also your stock rods should be fine for what you are doing. that will save you some money there. just something to think about. if your not going to spray the hypers should be fine with the horsepower you are going to make. i would go and build it to last and get the machine work done so you wont be blowing oil in 500 miles.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:24 PM
pacepony
2nd Gear Member

jegs has a set of speed pro forged pistons for 264 dollars.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:45 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

thats not bad at all.
i was still looking to get a little more compression out of it though. if i went this route, i would just end up wanting to mill the heads. so many decisions and factors.

and btw, are the pistons pressed onto the rods on a small ford??
Old 10-31-2005, 07:10 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

oh and as you were saying about having machined, the walls are really clean, i have the honing tool for my drill so i'd just do that. doesnt need to be bored or anything like that
Old 10-31-2005, 08:01 PM
pacepony
2nd Gear Member

remember piston to wall clearance is very small. even honing takes away material so if you do it yourself dont go crazy with it and i raised my compression by shaving the heads down a bit.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:03 PM
pacepony
2nd Gear Member

the pistons from jegs are pressed

Quick Reply: Piston choices