5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Suspension, intake manifold, and cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 07:18 AM
hatingyou
2nd Gear Member

Default Suspension, intake manifold, and cam

Well this may be a long post...

I want to start upgrading my suspension this winter so it is good by the summer. I would also like to add an intake manifold, injectors, MAF, throttle body, and a cam by the end of winter as well. (I will do heads after or right before I rebuild the motor which probably won't be for another 6 months to a year, but they will be AFR 185s)
So I was hoping some of you could help me with this stuff. The car will be used mainly for striaght line performance, but I would like it to be able to corner as well. Here is what I have come up with as far as suspension goes:

-Tubular K member
-Strut tower brace
-Upper/lower control arms
-Sub-frame connectors
-Lowering springs (probably the super sport spring kit made by FRPP)

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend doing for suspension? Or should I not do one or more of these things? Also, what brands would you recommend for most of this stuff?

Lastly, I wanted to know what would be a good intake manifold and cam for some AFR 185 heads. I just would like to start getting my motor ready for them now. (I know I won't get big gains at first by doing it like this, but it works out best for my budget.) I am unsure of thier rpm range, but do you know any manifolds/cams that would work really well with these heads?

Thanks a bunch for the replys.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:44 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension, intake manifold, and cam

First, for the subframe connectors; def. go with Kenny Browns (they are great and cheap)
Second - for all out of your other stuff you have alot of choices; you can go with Maximum Motorsports, D&D, Dugan Racing, Kenny Brown, etc. etc. etc. It really depends on your budget when it comes to suspension. Also, you didnt mention that you have shocks/struts. I would put them as one of your first priorities before everything else. Also, if you have some spair cash; get a tubular k-member. You really dont need it but you will shed some weight.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:49 PM
hatingyou
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

First, for the subframe connectors; def. go with Kenny Browns (they are great and cheap)
Second - for all out of your other stuff you have alot of choices; you can go with Maximum Motorsports, D&D, Dugan Racing, Kenny Brown, etc. etc. etc. It really depends on your budget when it comes to suspension. Also, you didnt mention that you have shocks/struts. I would put them as one of your first priorities before everything else. Also, if you have some spair cash; get a tubular k-member. You really dont need it but you will shed some weight.
Are there any shocks/struts that you would recommend?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:31 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

It really all depends on what kind of budget you are on and what you are looking to get out of the car. You said that the car is going to be build for straight line performance but you want it to also be able to handle. What you need is some nice adjustable shocks/struts (QA1, KYB, Strange, etc, etc.) There are many different companies you can go with. Its all budget.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:59 PM
hatingyou
2nd Gear Member

Price for this stuff isn't really too big of a deal at the moment...

I was thinking about it more while I was bored in lecture this afternoon, and I think I would care more about them being able to perform in a straight line well. (turning is overated) Anyways, I was looking at some lakewood 70/30 street/strip struts and a 50/50 drag shock in the rear. Would something like that destroy my ride? Are they any good? I honestly have very little idea about what is good when it comes to suspension.