5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Leaking from the roof

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 04:39 AM
hatingyou
2nd Gear Member

Default Leaking from the roof

I have a leak somewhere in my roof, and I know its not in the sunroof. Water keeps leaking out of the cracks of the the black (well its black in my car anyways) trim panels that overlap each other that hold up the headliner. Do you know how the water could be getting up there other than the sunroof. It has also caused my headliner to shrink because of the water. Heres a pic of one of the areas where it leaks and some of where the headliner has shrunk.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17917/7B984F8E6EC34A36A5872E45EB3D0A28.jpg[/IMG]

edit: would it be best to just take the headliner out and check?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Leaking from the roof

its from the sunroof then it drips down the drippassage and if it the passage is clogged up it will overflow and come into the cabin area.

thats why i hate foxes with sunroofs
Old 11-07-2005, 11:28 AM
1990mustanggt
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem with mine. I have a 1990. The drip passages had come off on mine, so when it rained the water had nowhere to go but in the headliner.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:20 PM
hatingyou
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik

its from the sunroof then it drips down the drippassage and if it the passage is clogged up it will overflow and come into the cabin area.

thats why i hate foxes with sunroofs
Yeah these sunroofs are retarded. I've hated them forever, every car I've owned has had one and each car had a different problem with them. I will never buy a car that has one again. Do you think I could have a shop weld in a piece of sheet metal in there, repaint the top and just take the stupid thing out?

Does anyone know how to unclog it? Drano?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:26 PM
83beast
2nd Gear Member

cmon, you guys are lame. do what you can to fix it. i have one and its easy as pie to fix. i used an air compressor and blew the tubes out. worked fine. then i removed the whole glass part and just took off the seal and reattached it with silicone. no probs for 2.5 yrs and counting. and up here in nh, we have PLENTY of rain to "test" this in! easy. oh, and put some grease on the slide slots on the front of the glass part, where it hinges up and down. makes it a ton easier to get open.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:49 PM
hatingyou
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 83beast

cmon, you guys are lame. do what you can to fix it. i have one and its easy as pie to fix. i used an air compressor and blew the tubes out. worked fine. then i removed the whole glass part and just took off the seal and reattached it with silicone. no probs for 2.5 yrs and counting. and up here in nh, we have PLENTY of rain to "test" this in! easy. oh, and put some grease on the slide slots on the front of the glass part, where it hinges up and down. makes it a ton easier to get open.
The thing is, I have already sealed it with silicone and it is STILL able to get in somewhere. I seriously sealed the hell out of it too. I took it out once, and the holes didn't looked clogged up top but they must be down somewhere a little lower. Thats why I just want to get rid of it. Plus, I like the sheet metal idea.

I'll try what you said though, I'll use an air compressor to try to ge it cleaned out. I just don't understand where it could get in. Could it come in through the trim that is around the top of the doors? Mine looks fine, but I just don't know how its stilll doing this.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:55 PM
83beast
2nd Gear Member

no, the water builds up and finally pours over. thats why the tubes are there. they are prob clogged way down. if the compressor doesnt work, try a long piece of heavy guage wire. and try the grease thing. it helps.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:59 PM
hatingyou
2nd Gear Member

I'm assuming to take the silicone off I should just use a small scraper and be careful then?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:20 PM
83beast
2nd Gear Member

why do you want to take the silicone off? i meant seal the weatherstrip to the body with the silicone and put grease where it hinges in the front of the roof. if you do take the silicone off, yes a small scraper will do it, and yes, be careful.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

fawk it thats why i only get solid roofs lately.

Quick Reply: Leaking from the roof