5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

the right supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 05:27 PM
SD_LX_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: the right supercharger?

Hey there, i was just interested on the subject and i checked out kenny bell's site; there i found the tech articles which are the magizine articles where kenny bell products are used. The magizine 5.0 Mustang hosted an article where the installed a kenny bell on a 5.0 and it was pretty well done, it convinced me that if i were gonna step up and to a super charger level i would definetly go with kenny bell!
Heres the link to download it in pdf format, check it ot its sick and gonna make you want a kenny bell real bad.
http://www.kennebell.net/media/articles/BLOWZILLA.pdf
O and it has a street and track setting
Old 11-10-2005, 05:38 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Its all what you want.... there is no feelin in the world like a nicely setup Kenne Bell I can tell you that much....There is loads of Adv and dis Adv of each it all comes down to what you want in my case I am seting everything up for low end torque not reving past 5500 RPM therefore the Kenne Bell is best for me plus I just like car's that generate more torque than Hp rather than more hp than torque.... When running anything over 12 PSI things get challenging to Tune, Kenne Bell being the worse of the 2... Plus Kenne's generate more heat therfore in order to run more timing to generate more HP you need a bypass valve or wet injection...... There are way too many variables and if money is an issue go with the Vortech they are cheap and easy to tune and install under 10 psi... if you want something unique with loads of show off torque then go with the Kenne.... Either way do some more homework on the unit's the best place to read about Kenne's is TheCorral search "Kenne" under their supercharger forum.

Hope I helped
Old 11-10-2005, 09:57 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

I was under the impression that a twin screw s/c is the same thing as a roots style.

except the roots is for carb.
correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:12 AM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Twin Screw
Air enters the supercharger through the rear or top rear and is
"compressed" internally between the rotors. The male rotor rotates
clockwise while the female rotor rotates counter clockwise trapping
and compressing the air between them and then channeling
("screwing") the air toward the front where it is discharged.

Roots
The Roots inlet air is caught by the rotors and then "pumped"
circumferentially between the supercharger case and rotors and
then discharged. All this surface area (rotors and case) coupled
with the relatively long torturous air path creates more turbulence,
friction, heat and pumping (HP) losses than the Twin Screw
"compressor."
Old 11-13-2005, 11:19 AM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

whats the second loudest supercharger?
Old 11-13-2005, 03:11 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

thanks shwindty,
and for the loudest, get a vortech.
but they are all noticable, from the sound.
I dont think there is a second loudest.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:54 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: SD_LX_5.0

Hey there, i was just interested on the subject and i checked out kenny bell's site; there i found the tech articles which are the magizine articles where kenny bell products are used. The magizine 5.0 Mustang hosted an article where the installed a kenny bell on a 5.0 and it was pretty well done, it convinced me that if i were gonna step up and to a super charger level i would definetly go with kenny bell!
Heres the link to download it in pdf format, check it ot its sick and gonna make you want a kenny bell real bad.
http://www.kennebell.net/media/articles/BLOWZILLA.pdf
O and it has a street and track setting
i found it really odd to see the guy was only pushing 240hp with ported canfields, 65mm, cobra intake and other bolt-ons ...then i noticed those numbers were at 5000rpm, would probably more along the lines of 280 around 5750 ...then i read further down for the numbers of the SC set-up and they say 349 and these hp numbers are at 5500rpm wich is much closer to its' peak than 5000rpm on his N/A set-up, seems like a crappy article to me... i want to see those numbers up to 6000rpm or what's the point? why would they do that, seems like they wanted to fool people into thinking the KB would give you alot more than it really does. and this was at 10psi ??? one of my buddies is pushing 10 psi out of his vortech s-trim with power-pipe and he's making upwards of 430 to the ground with his 306 with edelbrock rpm heads, ported performer intake and custom cam (and a couple of bolt-ons). i don't understand why everybody is so blown away by the blowzilla ...what am i missing here ?
Old 11-13-2005, 04:59 PM
brutal_gt
3rd Gear Member

did anyone mention a paxton novi-2000 yet?