5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car is Possesed

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 02:57 AM
firststang@17
2nd Gear Member

Default Car is Possesed

Im having this crazy issue with my car.It just cuts off randomly. Ill just be sitting at a light and it will cut off. If i wait betwwen 30 sec and 5 min it starts right up and drives fine. I have checked all wiring, i am getting spark and fuel. When it cuts off it will crank but wont turn over. I do have msd ignition set up on there but everythin is checking out ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I cant drive my car around if i dont know if it will run or not. Its pissin me off.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:52 AM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Car is Possesed

ORIGINAL: firststang@17

When it cuts off it will crank but wont turn over.
Not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean that the engine will turn over (i.e. the starter works but the engine will not fire up)? The problem does sound electical. Have you tried pulling any codes? Even if the check engine light doesn't come on, there could be stored codes in the PCM. For instance, if your Thick Film Ignition (TFI) module is having intermittent failures, you may find a code indicating that the pickup signal was missed. Having said all of the above, it sounds like it only cuts off when idling. So also be sure to check all of the idling issues (IAC valve, vacuum leaks, MAF sensor, etc.).
Old 11-20-2005, 01:10 PM
firststang@17
2nd Gear Member

The starter works but the engine wont start. When it first started cutting off, it would cut off while cruising around 40-50, but now it only cuts off while idling. Ill check those things out. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Madskillz306
2nd Gear Member

check your dizzy module, mine had same issues and i come to notice it fires up when cold and after afew mins of driving it just dies like not stall or bog out it would just flat out die and afterwards same deal engine cranks and wouldn't fire. i let it cool and fired right up.

I think you could be having same issue check that in the driveway, fire it up in the morning and wait afew mins at idle if it dies with-in 5-10 mins i'de say you have bad dizzy module as it is heating up and then causing the car to die. if so get a shop or yourself to change it i would suggest the stubby torx bit to remove that way you don't gotta pull the distruber and in turn don't have to set to top dead center again but rather lossen dizzy hold down bolt and remove and install new module and then you just have to set your timing again.

let us know the results. worth trying what i explained as i had same type of issues.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:40 PM
firststang@17
2nd Gear Member

Where at what the hell is a dizzy module?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:09 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Distributor Module. Dizzy is short for it. It's could a TFI module, thick film ignition. It's located right on the front of the distributor. It has a wide connector plugged into it.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:29 PM
firststang@17
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86HOGT

Distributor Module. Dizzy is short for it. It's could a TFI module, thick film ignition. It's located right on the front of the distributor. It has a wide connector plugged into it.
OH. Okay. thanks. I checked the wires on it and they were a little lose. Ill go ahead and replace it.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:16 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

It could be the TFI module breaking down, but as I said earlier, that will usually store a code in the PCM. Another item that can break down with heat is the ignition coil. That would not leave any code in the PCM. Or as you've mentioned, a loose connection can have the same symptoms.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:03 PM
firststang@17
2nd Gear Member

the parts store keeps sending my uncle the wrong ignition coil. But im gonna try to convince my uncle to let me put the scanner on it. He hates computers.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: firststang@17

ORIGINAL: 86HOGT

OH. Okay. thanks. I checked the wires on it and they were a little lose. Ill go ahead and replace it.
Keep in mind the Ford Modules that were placed directly on the Dizzy are notorious for burning out. Best thing to do is buy one and make absolutely certain you use the grease that comes with it to help dissipate heat. I believe if you go with an aftermarket Dizzy (MSD) or something like it, the design of the distributor further helps dissipate the killer heat.

Quick Reply: Car is Possesed