5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Heater flush & new waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 01:57 AM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

Default Heater flush & new waterpump

First, I want to ask if anyone knows how to flush the heater system. All I know is that I have to pull the hoses off and run water through it backwards. I need more details as in what hose is in/return. Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Second...I have a new waterpump and I need to put it on. What do I have to take off and whatnot to get to the pump and how difficult will this job be? How long do you think it would take me to do this?

Thanks a million

Collin
Old 11-22-2005, 01:49 PM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Heater flush & new waterpump

first depending onhownasty your radiator is I recommend buying some radiator flush, and the directions should be on the back of the bottle. You will run that through your system then flush that out and empty your cooling system. Next run water throught the radiator, then through the block. For the water pump you will need some sort of gasket maker along with the new waterpump and gasket. Youll need to remove the belt, the fan, the fan shroud and waterpump pulley, and you should have enough clearance to do the job. There is 7 or 8 bolts around the waterpump you will need to remove, but first, remove the lower radiator hose off of the water pump. Now once you have the bolts off pull the old waterpump off, and get a razor blade and remove the old gasket material off of the mating surface on the block for the waterpump. The apply gasket maker to mating surface of new waterpump, then place new gasket against waterpump and line up the holes. Now apply gasket maker to the back of the gasket that is going against the block. Now slide the new waterpump onto studs and against the block mating surfuce. Tighten down all 7 or 8 bolts as you would lug nuts, 1&4, 2&6, 3&7 and so forth. Now let sit for an hour or so to make sure you get a good seal with the gasket maker(ultimately look at the directions on the back of the bottle though) and your done! Now put everything back together and your ready to ride!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You will need to remove your thermostat first before you try to flush your radiator, otherwise it will be very difficult to clean and impossible to backflush. It's okay if leaks during the back flush as you will be replacing the thermostat and gasket after you're done.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:23 PM
collincastaneda
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info & advice fellas. My heater system is clogged and backed up. Making it impossible for the fans to blow warm air. Even if my **** is on the farthest warm position it will still blow cold air. I was told to take off the hoses and backflush it. Is this a good way to do it? Would it be better to do it all at the same time? Meaning the waterpump replacement and the radiator flush and the heater flush?