5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stereo install..

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Curb
1st Gear Member

Default Stereo install..

My 5.0 is off getting painted, I was looking at the deck sitting next to me as plan on installing it when I get the car back.. does anyone have a diagram on what wires are which or know off the top of their head?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:35 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Stereo install..

all you need to do is find the 12volt wire and the accesory the ground is black and you can run your own speaker wires.i think on mine the 12v is yellow and the accesory is red.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:08 PM
SchoolBoy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Stereo install..

Ok, first off are the factory speakers still in place, how many are there, and is the factory harness still intacked?

You mite find this helpful............Standard wiring harness

And here is how you check witch wire is what in the CAR not the HEAD unit, ok........ And get a friend to help you with this..... first use a wire tester to figure out witch 2 wires are hot and the 1 is ground, if its hot it should light up with no keys "12volt", then turn the key to accesorey and the other wire will read as hot. Usally red, yellow, are hot, and black is ground. As seen in the above diagram... Now you should be leaft with 8 wires. These should be devided into colored pairs, such a green and green with a black stripe..... The black stripe usally means (-) or negative. Now these 4 pairs are your left and right side dived up front and back k.... So you have right front or R.F., left front L.F., right rear R.R., and left rear L.R...... Now the way to check these wires is by using a "D" cell battery... Take two simalar colored wires, knowing that the wire maked with a black line or some sort of marking is normaly negative, hold that wire to the (-) end of the battery. Take the other wire that you suspect makes up the two wires needed to complete the circuit for that speaker and BREAFLY touch it to the positive or (+) end of the battery. This will cause the speaker to move up, and down once, witch will be audiable, alowing you to figure witch pairs of wires are for witch speaker, as you figure this out use masking tape and a felt pen to label witch pair is what....k Now if the wires do NOT have distingusing marks for (-) you or someone helping you will need to see what Direction the speaker moves, because if you get the (-) reversed with (+) the speaker will move down then up, this will destroy the speakers.....

Now on the bottem side of most decks will be a digram of how the harness is as it comes out of the deck. Now knowing that info + what wires are what in your car, you are now able to solder the correct wires together. And this is VERY IMPORTANT, ONLY USE ROSIN-CORE SOLDER, everything else will do nasty things to your wiring!!!

Hope that helps some, if not ask again......Nelson