5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

trickflow cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 09:11 PM
OneFine89Mustang
4th Gear Member

Default trickflow cam

i was looking inot buying a trickflow stage 1 cam. my motor is mainly stock all i have done is gears exhaust and cold air intake. I am about to do over the winter is roller rockers cam and a cobra intake manifold. I am eventually goona get the trickflow twisted wedge heads to top it off. my question is this cam a good selection. will it have that rough idle. will i be able to hear the choking through the exhaust?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:30 PM
95whitecobra
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: trickflow cam

The stage 1 is a very good cam, similar to the "E" cam but a little more aggressive on the exhaust side. It has that nice lopey idle. It'll work well with the TW heads and cobra intake. I would use 1.6 rockers otherwise you may run into PTV problems and you will definately have to upgrade the springs on the TW heads.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:33 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

I have also just boought the TF #1 I have Edelbrock Performers heads, am I going to have to upgrade my springs as well? The springs it came with are direct from Edelbrock.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:37 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

they don't did to be upgraded as the cam is only 512 lift and even with the 1.7 you be around 545
Old 11-27-2005, 11:59 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Thats what I figured as well but some people have told me that the springs are no good on the Edel heads. Thats as much lift as I will ever be running either way.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

TFS1 is .499/.510
Old 11-28-2005, 01:34 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Would it F you in smog?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:48 AM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

No Idea , I am in Canada we can burn tires if we want..lol
Old 11-28-2005, 01:57 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Waste of money and time on a stock headed motor..
Old 11-28-2005, 01:58 AM
KovacMotorsports
1st Gear Member

I ve heard some issues with the quality of the springs that come with the Edelbrock and Twisted Wedge heads. Though its been my experience that unless your using a cam that is close to the max. lift limit of these springs and regularly push your engine to redline they will live a long life.

If I remember correctly the standard springs that come with the Edelbrock heads are rated to handle a max lift of .575" and the optional springs that come with the Twisted wedge heads are rated to .600" lift. In either case I wouldnt think that the cam you've chosen even with 1.7 rockers wouldn't be too close to the max lift rating of either set of springs. IMO you would be fine with a street driven engine that sees the occassional couple of 1/4 mile runs a few weekends out of the summer. On the other hand, if you plan on racing it more on a regular basis and are hard on your car when you drive then I would recommend a good set of brand name springs just for that added piece of mind. They are cheap and you could probably find a set of crane or comp cams springs that would be the same size and specs. so no machine work would be required. They be a direct fit, but you'd probably pay a few bucks to have a shop install them and check the heights and pressures to be sure thier right. I guess it all boils down to your budget and intended use of this engine.

As for the cam Its a nice grind, Ive installed it in more than a couple of street engines, but you wont really see much of a benefit until you get the heads to go along with it.

Quick Reply: trickflow cam