5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Billymac76
2nd Gear Member

Default oil pressure

Hahah so here it is..

ok so i have an oil pressure problem.. i had a shop tell me that it was my oil pump and that a new oil pump would solve my problems. Well, two weeks ago they finaly convinced me that the pump was the problem and it would be all fixed and done with.. well, i wasnt sure that the pump was the problem so i told them i wanted the problem fixed and that i wanted a guarentee.. so i payed 65$ for them to diagnose the problem and 500 sumthen for them to do the oil pump.. well sure enough a day or two later im still having oil pressure drop off when i step on the pedal... well i come to find out they say they have checked the pressure but then told me that their mechanical guage was missing parts so i have to wait a few days for them to get the parts..(they found out that they were missing when going to check my oil pressure) so now ive been babying this damn car for two weeks trying to keep the oil pressure up..

what do i do.. im completely lost, im 18, this is my first mustang and i seemingly cant pay to have it fixed.. now im worried about ruining the whole engine! arrghh this sucks.. any help would be great..

before i had this fixed i posted a few questions and had no answers that would solve my problem other than good luck.. so i need some help here.. i kno you guys know what your talking about.

thnx bill M
Old 11-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: oil pressure

my Notch oil psi jumps around. ive seen it under load drop some then rise. my car also has a few oil leaks and if you ahve leaks it wont hold good enough psi. if its only leaks fix them and your fine.

now if you do lose oil psi totally the well its too late and motor is junk
Old 11-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Billymac76
2nd Gear Member

my oil pressure is dropping.. it drops down very low but comes right back when i let off on the throttle.

i can drive it and have the oil pressure stay in good range but i have to baby it.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:38 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Are you going by the stock guage or a good aftermarket?

Things to check:
1. the friggin guage
2. is there any oil in it?
3. take the filter off and cut it open(use tin snips or a cutter..not a hacksaw!)...see whats inside..your looking for chunks of metal or copper.

If there is oil in it, and you have 0 pressure it is phucked.

You said you just paid almost $600 to have the pump changed......I'm in the wrong line of work.

I didn't see your other "oil pressure" threads or I would have replied to them... I just went thru a ton of oil pressure problems.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:13 AM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

It could be the oil pressure sending unit. wiggle the wire on the unit and see if it affects the gage reading. I thought I had no oil pressure and I fiddled with the wires and magically my pressure went back to normal. It's common for the sending unit to go bad. They're cheap and easy to replace.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:28 AM
moosedan
1st Gear Member

yes yes. those stock sending units can go bad at any time. check your wires. go to an after market gauge if you want to. either way, the gauge is where i would start. You would here some bad noises coming from your car if you truly had 0 pressure or low. I know when I 1st got my heads on, my stock pressure gauge was going crazy....

otherwise....watch your oil. 600 bucks, nice! they really took you for a ride. did you go to the dealer?

peace!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:10 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

get a mechanical gauge from the auto parts store a good rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1000rpm so 2000rpm+20psi
Old 12-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Billymac76
2nd Gear Member

lol ok i never said anything about 600 it was 500... and im getting a mechanical gauge on it as soon as possible
Old 12-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

so i payed 65$ for them to diagnose the problem and 500 sumthen for them to do the oil pump
Pretty close to $600.....
Old 12-01-2005, 08:28 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik

my Notch oil psi jumps around. ive seen it under load drop some then rise. my car also has a few oil leaks and if you ahve leaks it wont hold good enough psi. if its only leaks fix them and your fine.

now if you do lose oil psi totally the well its too late and motor is junk
Leaks won't cause a pressure drop unless it's atthe filter or sending unit. Leaks at gasket or seal surfaces won't. Like, if you had an oil p[an or pan gasket leaking, it won't cause a pressure drop unless it run OUT of oil.

Quick Reply: oil pressure