5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Possible problems... help plz?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 08:39 AM
cody

Default Possible problems... help plz?

Alright, heres the deal... My 86' is bone stock. At low RPM's, such as cruizing through town, my car seems to cut out on me. It's acting like its starving for fuel. Now, me and my dad are small town hicks that's never worked on fuel injection vehicles before. My dad builds hot rods and has only worked on carb'd setups. A buddy of his has a small Racing Crew that race stangs and what ever came out of the Ford Factory if you know what I mean. But I really dont want to take it to him because I want to learn how to work on this stuff my self. Any help or anyone have a pretty close ideal of what it could be? The only thing that came to my mind would be injectors, but i've put some Lucas Injector cleaner in it and it helped to a lil while but came back again. If it is the injectors what setup should I go with them? FRPP Injectors or stock or any other brand? And what size are the stocks and what size will the stang handle, I was kinda thinking 19#, but if thats not right, please pass the your insight onto me, thanks a bunch!</P>

-Cody</P>
Old 01-09-2004, 08:43 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Its either fuel related or timing related.Are you sure of your timing?And have you checked it?</P>

I assume you have done the basics like plugs,wires,cap,rotor,checked coil and wiring to all?</P>

If all of that checks out move on to things like fuel filter,fuel pump,fuel lines.</P>

It sounds to me though like you have a slight timing issue though check that first.</P>
Old 01-09-2004, 08:53 AM
cody

Ya, the plugs,wires,cap,rotor,coil are all brand new.. just bought them prob two months ago. Ok, exactly whatand how do you check timing..My dads knows, but he's at work and it would be nice to be able to supprise him by checking everything over my self. thanks for the help GMKiller!</P>

-Cody</P>
Old 01-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

check your fuel filter then check the condition of your plugs,cap and rotor. you might need a nice tuneup
Old 01-09-2004, 09:02 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Sounds to me like he has already tuned it up with the exception of the fuel filter.</P>

To check the timing you simply connect the timing light (i assume you know how to do this) and you block your vacuum advance off and start the engine after you loosen up the bolt that holds down the distributor.Theres no actual preset timing as age,conditions,wear and all types of other things factor in on the exact timing.But you want to start at around about 10 degrees to start with and i wouldnt go past 14-16 tops!After you set it plug the vacuum advance back in and check to see your total advance it should be about 36-38 total by about 3,000.</P>
Old 01-09-2004, 09:04 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Damn ohsoquick02 with all this so called past experience in the automotive scene that you claim to have you sure do give s**tty advice.Hell all i see you do is repeat whats already been said.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:06 AM
cody

alright, thanks for the advice GMKiller! I'll check it as soon as I get outa school.</P>

-Cody</P>
Old 01-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

one he has what is called a Spout connector that he has to remove in order to check his timing. but wait a minute do you even know what one is???
Old 01-09-2004, 09:20 AM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Yeah you blind retard thats what i told him to disconnect and plug its called the vacuum advance you tard!
Old 01-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

no you said vaccum advance which is on non-efi cars. you would have the kid lost looking for a vaccum line going to the dist.

actually its the spout connector which is a jumper or a shunt. this completes one or two wiring circuits in the dist. wiring harness. by disconnecting this it allows you to check true initial advance instead of having the computer send intial timing signals.

Quick Reply: Possible problems... help plz?