5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

BBK Fuel Regulator install tips..

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default BBK Fuel Regulator install tips..

My BBK fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure gauge just came in today, and im wondering if you guys have some tips on how to install it, I would rather not have to take the upper intake off again.

While im on here and I dont want to create another topic, but I feel like my car isnt at its potential yet, like somthing is missing like too much fuel, too much air, or not enough of both, it feels like its bogging or hesitating to accerlerate. What can I do to find out the problem?

Also I still get that poping at high RPM, like a poping backfireing sound but not real loud.

Will regulating the right fuel pressure fix this?? Should I upgrade to 24lbs injectors?

Also im still waiting on my MAF conversion harness to come in the mail so im really hopeing it will fix my problem?

Thanks, Black
Old 12-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: BBK Fuel Regulator install tips..

*bump*
Old 12-12-2005, 04:05 PM
kl92gt
3rd Gear Member

when i did my regulator i kept the intake on but i could only get 2 screws back n it instead of 3 but i have no leaks or problems with it if i was you i would switch 24lb i have 30lb in mine and it runs fine
Old 12-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Yeah I kinda thought so, Ima start searching today for a set of 24lbs injectors. Im hoping it will be under 200 $$$
Old 12-12-2005, 04:29 PM
kl92gt
3rd Gear Member

www.buyfordracing.com has 24s for $199
Old 12-12-2005, 04:32 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

The easy way to do it would be to remove the upper but im sure you could do it with it on,but i hope you don't plan on running 24's with the SD,then you will have driveability problems..Best to do the mass air conversion and get a maf calibrated for the injectors..
Old 12-12-2005, 04:55 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Yuppers I tried to run 24's with y Sd setup and had to have a chip burned which still was garbage and I just converted in the end. As for the FPR, I took out the 2 bolts holding the fuel rail in on Both sides.... Kept the upper in tact and got under the regulator with a allen socket wrech shaved down to about 1/4 inch. it was still tricky but I got it off there is 3 bolts in a traingle patter holding the unit to the rail....its a easy swap!

As for tuning after you get the FPR installed we can get you set up, increase the fuel pressure a bit drive it and pull the plugs to see what kind of mixture you are running. I think its still running lean. As for 24 lbers you dont need them yet, I would even hold off on the MAF conversion until you get the supercharger, when I was running my SD Setup ( Just liek yours) I was fine with 19's had awesome power and no drivability issues at all..... as soon as I went to 24's I was hooped!!! As well sense you plan on charging in the future you are going ot need at least 36 or 42 lb injectors with a Mass Air meter calibrated to them! Therefore why spend the money on 24's now when they will be useless when the charger is on? Until you charge the money can be spent elsewhere

I can guarentee that you are still running a bit lean but thats a easy fix!Hopefully the FPR will fix it, if not you have to get a higher flowing pump I worked with the exact same setup as you last year and know how to tune out the SD.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:26 PM
kl92gt
3rd Gear Member

i never had sd so i dont really know bout that but if u had maf i would def. get 24s
Old 12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

19's are good untill around 300 Hp give or take a few, which he should still be under, as soon as he breaks the 300 mark he will need to upgrade.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:16 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schwindty

19's are good untill around 300 Hp give or take a few, which he should still be under, as soon as he breaks the 300 mark he will need to upgrade.
Correct Also, you should upgrade to 24's just to be on the safe side but make sure that you get your mass air hooked up first.

KL92GT- Why are you running 30lb injectors ???

Quick Reply: BBK Fuel Regulator install tips..