5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

metal on metal sound from driver side

Old 12-16-2005, 03:29 AM
JoHnNy sAvAgE
2nd Gear Member

Default metal on metal sound from driver side

so the other day I was on the freeway and I was messing with my radio. There was a x-mas tree in my lane. I saw it at the last minute and swerved but I still hit it, just not in the middle only got the driver side over the tip of the tree. Ever since then when I take off from a start and I pull the clutch kinda fast I hear what is like a grinding metal on metal noise and I feel a vibration at my feet. Also somethimes when I make a turn w/out stopping and give it gas I can hear it. I can also hear it at times when going over 80, but ony when gicing it gas. Becasue it only happens when giving it gas I thought it might be the u joint and replaced them. Still hear the noise, but now I feel way more vibration on the shifter at 80+. I heard a loud thump when the tire went over. Any help would be great thanks and sorry for the long post!!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:58 AM
Gregs68
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: metal on metal sound from driver side

is your tranny securley bolted on? i would get under there and investagate. im shure someone else here can better help you.

BTW, why exackley were you going over 80?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:43 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Is there a tree or bush stuck in your clutch? Possibly some shrubbery? You might have knocked something out of alignment. Or something. Take it to a mechanic [:@]
Old 12-16-2005, 05:17 AM
JoHnNy sAvAgE
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gregs68

is your tranny securley bolted on? i would get under there and investagate. im shure someone else here can better help you.

BTW, why exackley were you going over 80?

I have and everything looks o.k. The only thing that I thought might be a problem is that the h-pipe was a bit bent and was touching the cross member. I slightly bent the cross memeber back where the h-pipe was hitting just to see if that could have possibly been the problem and no improvement. and as far as going 80 what can I say?? I like speed. don't tell me you have a mustang and never take it 80+
Old 12-16-2005, 11:13 AM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

if the vibration only occurs under acceleration i would say cv joint...can you hear a slight clicking noise when you turn. when you feel the vibration push in the clutch and see if it stops. u joints and driveshaft vibration should increase with rpms, not necessarily speed. check to make sure the weights are still on the inside of you rim, perhaps you wheel is out of balance. let us know. good luck
Old 12-16-2005, 03:29 PM
JoHnNy sAvAgE
2nd Gear Member

I don't think it's a cv joint becasue the clicking would be everytime that I turned right? I am going to try putting in the clutch when I hear it to see if it stops. It's really frustrating!!! but I gues I gotta check everythink until I find the problem. Any more suggestions?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Ya know a mustang was not made for trimming trees lol, just kidding with ya bro. if i was you i would jack the car up get your self a dead blow hammer or a rubber hammer and tap on stuff to see if it makes a noise that soulds like what you are hearing, also your eyes are your best friend if somethin does not look right it is probly not right so give it a really good look, lastly look at your exhaust it may be rubbing somethin.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Gregs68
2nd Gear Member

I never said i dont go over 80 the shaking is coming from the trany rigth? or from the stearing? does it only go it in gear?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:17 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

Be sure to look every where that a limb could be stuck and rubbing. Right after I got my Stang, I was on my way to work one morning and not far from the house, it started making an absolutely horrible grinding noise. I was sure the transmission (automatic) was screwed. I turned around and eased her back home, got another vehicle and went on to work. Later, I discovered that I had run over a stick in the road and it jammed in between the transmission and the frame/body and the end was rubbing on the asphalt. The resulting noise and vibration was very misleading and distirbing, but boy was I relieved when I found it.