5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Please help... Cobra info needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 02:02 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default Please help... Cobra info needed

So heres my dilemma.

I own a 94 Cobra that i just got shipped up to Rhode Island, from Florida... The car is completely BONE STOCK... minus a k&n drop in.

I am planning on doing the usual maintainence. Tune up.. etc. But the car feels slow. I have a 1991 Probe GT, and at this current juncture.. i might venture so far as to say that i think the PGT is faster.

I want to do a full exhaust but i wanted to get some feedback on what everyone reccomends, I don't want to start throwing parts at the motor. just some simple bolt on stuff. I have heard that the Pro-Chamber is the way to go as far as a x/h pipe, but what about headers... bbk, mac, equal length, not equal length...

I just dont think its right that i cant chirp 2nd gear

please help
Old 12-17-2005, 03:28 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Please help... Cobra info needed

i have a 95gt with BBK lt's o/r h-pipe and super 40's and everyone says mine has like a deep throaty sound that sounds awesome at WOT so i would recommend that setup. but if ur looking for a lil pick up buy an intake when u buy the exhaust since u will be helping more air come in and out that should be some easy hp gains
Old 12-17-2005, 06:28 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

So heres my dilemma.

I own a 94 Cobra that i just got shipped up to Rhode Island, from Florida...But the car feels slow. I have a 1991 Probe GT, and at this current juncture.. i might venture so far as to say that i think the PGT is faster.

please help
sounds like something is wrong for sure..the cobra should be putting about 20 car lengths on the probe ez....13 second car compared to about a 15 second car

i would start w/ the electronics...check the plug gaps try gapping at .045
replace the plud wires cap and rotor...then time it about 12* w/ something like 91 octane fuel.

since there are no drivability probs....i think everything is functional....but the severe lack of power seems like lack of spark somewhere.

you could be on 7 cylinders and idle and drive fine..just no power.

also check and make sure the SPOUT connector is plugged in. i think it's on the rt side fender in your car..near the airbox

do you know how to do the timing? correctly?

Old 12-17-2005, 06:36 PM
5.7litereater
1st Gear Member

bob is right. There is something definitely wrong going on here. Except giving everything a quick once over visually, checking the timing w/ a light is the first thing that needs to be done. That sounds to me like what is going on. Is the check engine light on? Does it overheat? Does it backfire at all? Does it stumble coming off the line?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:17 PM
BlackSVTsnake302
4th Gear Member

Theres a problem, for sure, I drove a 98 V6 mustang before my cobra, and once i jumped in the drivers seat for the first time and gave her some hell i just about sh*t my pants, so first off i would get her running good, your MAF big be dead ive heard that makes the cobra really slow, as for exhaust X-pipe or prochamber sounds awesome, and for mufflers I ganna say go with the Flowmaster american thunder for sure, thats what ive got with a X pipe and IMO it sounds sexy as hell, ecesailly bcuz its a 5.0. Check out my cardomain and watch the video of my exhaust, heres one more for you: http://videos.streetfire.net/player....8-D89BF7BD9AD3
Old 12-18-2005, 12:13 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I have a funny feeling that its more then likely something stupid.

I just put in a set of Autolite Copper plugs gapped at .048, and took out the double platinums that were in it (i hate platinum plugs). threw on a set of wires. The cap and rotor are new and i checked all the connections to all plugs, sensors etc. Im wondering if i am having such a bad power loss b/c i still have the stock... and i mean factory... exhaust with 140k miles.

As far as it running funny.. not at all.. just sluggish with a little bit of misfire/bog in the 3.5-4.5k rpm range.

And as for my comment on it feeling slower than my probe...

Have you ever driven a 2790 lb car with 320hp????
Garrett GT28R, Port&Polished head, colt cams regrind, UDP, Fidanza Flywheel, Southbend Clutches DXD 6-puck, Phantom Grip LSD, Aeromotive FPR, Prochrager style top-to-bottom flow intercooler. 18 psi!
Old 12-18-2005, 11:29 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Update. The CEL came on, but shut off shortly there after... does the 94/95 5.0 have a easy non-scanner way to check the CEL? my probe uses a ground signal to make the CEL blink... you count the blinks and it gives you a code...

basically im having a dramatic power loss, 4k and up it feels like the car falls on its face... Im going to check the TPS and make sure its not giving me a hard time... but idk.. without knowing that the CEL was for.. im stumped!
Old 12-22-2005, 02:32 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Well guys.. i just figured id update this.. i found the problem... it was the factory exhaust... the cats were F*****D.. my right side pre-cat cant even be seen, so i figure it broke out and is clogging the rest of the pipe.

I got myself a BBK o/r x pipe from www.ProMustangPerformance.com and replaced the midpipe... OMFG... now i know where the power was!
Old 12-22-2005, 04:30 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

why would u even be surprised the cobra felt slow compared to ur 320hp PGT? No offense but even if it was running right ur probe would still be faster... When i first got my cobra i switched the plugs and cap/rotor and picked up a good amount of power, then my MAF went bad and i had trouble beating my friends Z24 cavalier, so i switched the maf and got a second in the 1/4 back...
Old 12-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

why would u even be surprised the cobra felt slow compared to ur 320hp PGT? No offense but even if it was running right ur probe would still be faster... When i first got my cobra i switched the plugs and cap/rotor and picked up a good amount of power, then my MAF went bad and i had trouble beating my friends Z24 cavalier, so i switched the maf and got a second in the 1/4 back...
320hp pgt? The boosted version put out 145hp and the non turbo put out 110, thats 1991 specs...same with the v6 it also put out 140-145...

Quick Reply: Please help... Cobra info needed