5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help me build my engine

Old 12-18-2005, 11:23 PM
XChris1632X

Default RE: Help me build my motor

ok my plans so far were something along the lines of a dss 306,331,or 347 fully forged short block. i have heard some good things about them and their prices arent bad. id like to know of some other well known companies. i want lower compression for probly just a sc-trim and 200 shot. i want to get a nicely matched heads cam and intake for this aplication, and all the bolt ons. i just need a little guidance to get there. i hear good things about the trickflow kit but will this give me the power i want. is there a better route to take. and i thought about custom grind. i have a custom grind nitrous cam in my lt1 and i love it. but it depends on whether i go with the trick flow kit or not.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:59 PM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

hey chris, consider a set of RHS heads , RPM II intake, and an S-trim, I'll get you there NO PROBLEM. Get everything from me and I'll help you out. mclark@promustangperformance.com
Old 12-18-2005, 11:59 PM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

hey chris, consider a set of RHS heads , RPM II intake, and an S-trim, I'll get you there NO PROBLEM. Get everything from me and I'll help you out. mclark@promustangperformance.com
Old 12-19-2005, 12:33 AM
TastePAINt88
2nd Gear Member

The trickflow Intake has long runners, and for a Forced induction situation you want the shortest runners, the trickflow is not your intake. Edelbrock, Holley Systemmax, and the BBK are all long runners, along with GT40 intake. Those should be taken out of consideration.

Some edelbrock heads however are nice, get a big chamber size, It will reduce your compression ratio since theres more room in the combustion chamber, allowing more boost safely.

With the cam you dont need a too aggresive lift, as the air will be being shoved into your car. A slightly long duration is nice though, again, comp or crane cams would know best.

For bolt ons, underdriven pulleys, larger MAF, 70mm TB,and some nice shortie headers will get you where you wanna be. With a nice blower youll have no problems, I cant remember the intakes with short runners atm, mind is failing me....
Old 12-19-2005, 12:55 AM
XChris1632X

what companies do you guys like for fully forged short blocks. and are they stock blocks or stronger. but i still dont want to spend 4 grand. but thank you guys for everything keep the ideas coming.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:50 AM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

You can get a fully forged short block 347 from ford racing for about 3 grand. They have 5.0 sportsman blocks too. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:48 PM
G Racer

Default RE: Help me build my engine

Good cylinder heads should be at the heart of your project. None of the other components will be maximized without a good cylinder head. A good cylinder head with a marginal cam will out perform a hot cam matched with a weak cylinder head every time. www.steadfastperformance.com
Old 12-19-2005, 05:15 PM
XChris1632X

would a good cylinder head be cconsidered trick flows or the afrs. which ones should i look at.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:03 PM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

Neither, RHS is a better head. They flow more air, they cost less, and additionally they flow more air at lower lift. I can have a set of aluminum ones shipped to you for $1149.99, or iron (better for boosted applications) for $929.99. Throw all the questions you can at me :-) You can never ask too many questions
Old 12-19-2005, 11:13 PM
TastePAINt88
2nd Gear Member

If you really want the flow, Edlebrock Victor Jr or Edelbrock Victor. They are NOT for the feint of heart, they arent assemlbed and require you to choose valve springs and choose a machinist to do the machining on them. They are the top dog but require you to know a little bit about what you are doing. If you have a high lift cam then you will want to have valve springs with more than normal seat pressure. It also requires you, or someone to take measurements on valve seat height and the valve seats that youll need. You can pay for someone to do this, but itll have a cost. If you really wanted a high performance head thats where you want to look.

Most people that run high lift cams have valve springs with 160 lbs seat pressure closed and run no problems. Again your choice on cam company will help you with that, they will know the best.

And yes, the others are right that the your heads will be your most limiting factor. If your heads arent top quality then no matter how high flowing parts the rest of your intake is, itll be restricted at the heads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me build my engine