5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

very high hydrocarbons

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 01:41 AM
fastdreams

Default very high hydrocarbons

Usually means unburned fuel right?

I'm trying to figure out what I should focus on to get this car tuned right. I want it to run well and strong, but I also want it to be clean for emissions testing. Right now my hydrocarbons are very very high, 1450ppm idle and 250ppm at 2450rpm. It seems like it should run like crap but it runs pretty good. Stinks though.

Now I think I should get rid of my blue (24#) injectors and install stock orange (19#) injectors and go from there. My other concern is the F-cam. Will the F-cam by itself screw my emissions? Is the F-cam an overkill cam to have when the only other mods I have are the cobra intake, headers, and CAI? Same question for the 24# injectors.
Would it be sensible to replace the mass air sensor with one that is calibrated to work with the 24#'ers? The shop that was looking at emissions for me (I moved states and need to pass new regs) claimed it was because of the F-cam but they only said that because I put that idea in their head. They couldn't figure out how to check the air/fuel. Supposedly a performance shop! Any good shops in Spokane Washington I can take this to? I'm willing to do quite a bit of my own work but I'm new to this engine and still novice/intermediate in my skill of working on cars in general.

I haven't checked the timing, never done it before. It's on my list of things to learn (and parts to get). That's an easy one though. Been running 87 without issue so I don't think it's very advanced. 'Course it seems I'm dumping way too much fuel so...

What would you do with my mods?

Where to buy new oem parts?

Thanks for your time and reading my annoying questions. I can search only so much before the answers run dry.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:04 AM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: very high hydrocarbons

Well its going to run better with a MAF sensor calibrated to 24# injectors. I would take out the 24s and put back in the 19s and get a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I think the 24's are givin it to much gas for the amount it needs to burn which could cause extra gas in the exhaust resulting in higher hydrocarbons, but Ive never had to pass emissions so I dont really know haha Im just guessing. But you might have a little bit of trouble with your cam too im not too sure though youd have to wait for more info on it.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:15 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

hi HC ..not necessarily, do you have cats? and smog pump?

yeah your way too phat for what you've got.

the stock inj. and pump will support 300 hp, as will the stock intake.

to check your timing you need a timing light, and it's nice to have the $8.95 craftsman 1/2" dist. wrench.

1. start the car
2. pull the SPOUT connector
3. clip on the #1 plug wire(first plug wire towards front of the car, on the passenger side)
4. shoot the balancer
5. adjust the timing...(btdc the balancer has 10-0-20 the 10-0 is ATDC...you want to be in the btdc range...about 12*)
6. plug SPOUT back in
7. done

b4 you start...if you get under the car, and chalk the timing marks...they will light up nicely.

f-cam should be fine, o2 sensors migth be cooked

Old 12-22-2005, 04:50 AM
fastdreams

Running with two high flow cats. No smog pump though. That may be a big part of the problem.

So far here's my game plan:

1. Replace 24# injectors wih 19# injectors. (where is a good place to buy these? I want new, flow-tested if possible)
2. Install smog pump. (where to buy?)
3. Basic tuneup and oil change.
4. Check for vacuum leaks.
5. Check/adjust timing.

Other concerns I have - test o2 sensors, test cats for efficacy, and how to check my air/fuel ratio. Cross my fingers I don't have a bad valve, leaking head gasket, or some other compression problems! Hopefully steps one and two will be the combination punches for the knockout and the rest is just gravy.

Damnit I need a good ford shop in town here to help me with some of this stuff.

Thanks for your input guys.