5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

bought 88 gt off ebay!BEWARE OF EBAY!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:06 PM
1slomofo

Default bought 88 gt off ebay!BEWARE OF EBAY!

Well heres a link of the car that i purchased off ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I talked to the guy to make sure the car ran fine and asked of the problems before we drove 4 hours to pick it up.He said gas guage and speedo dont work.Well theres also a switch to manually turn on the fuel pump.He said its t theft deterrent switch but if you try to start the car with the fuel pump on it floods the car.so to start the car i have to leave the pump off till it tries to start then turn the fuel on.
There was a little tapping noise that was very faint that has turned to a loud noise.one thing i found was the i plug wire was touching the header.I think the noise could be a lifter but i new to built v8's

Any one have an idea of what the noise could be.
this is a headache for me.
Already bought an optima battery because the car is souch a pain to start.

BEWARE OF EBAY
Old 12-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Steeda1716
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: bought 88 gt off ebay!BEWARE OF EBAY!

4grand for that,dam i payed 4,200 for mine and its all stock with 116,1233 miles
Old 12-30-2005, 02:29 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

does sound like a lifter... But its only a guess. I still say you did good, you got a lot of car and if it runs, then 4000 isnt that bad. I wonder how much he's got in it.....
Old 12-30-2005, 02:38 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

start the car at night, pop the hood and look for arcing (sparks). if the wire is/was touching the header it is almost certainly arcing. it will make the car run like sh#t and sounds exactly like a lifter. if you don't see any sparks use a screw driver to listen into the valve covers. put your ear against the plastic handle and touch the other end to the cover. a long screw driver will save your back, go along the whole cover. most likely you're just arcing, and 4g is a steal for that car...good buy and good luck
Old 12-30-2005, 02:54 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

That looks to be a decent deal. 4k is deffinately worth it. The first thing I would do is get it to an auto electrical shop to take care of the kill switch and diagnose any other electrical issues. It does sound like an arcing problem but you'll save yourself some long hours and probaly a little money just letting a pro tell you where the problem really is.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:27 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

that GT looks kickass dude, yeah i'd have it checked out thouroughly before doing anything yourself, you never know what could be wrong with it and you'll get to find out if it needs anything else too.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:42 PM
1slomofo

overall the car is decent.
the suspension work is nice,interior is ok for almost 20 years old,and sounded nice before the ticking issue.
I will probably have to wait till after the holiday before i can get it anywhere.
I have a couple buddies i work with that have fox bodies and are stang heads.actually last night i had my friend from work that just converted his fuel injected to carb and thats when the ticking got loud.i live 1 mile from where iwork so i just dropped him back off at work and drove the car home.
He has extra used sets of wires so i will probably get an old set from him and throw them on and see if the problem is there or not.

Thanks for the input guys. keep it coming to help me trouble shoot this.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:44 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

you guys have to be kidding[&:] if you go to a mechanic and say "somethings not right, idk what it is..." the mechanic WILL find things wrong and charge him for it. try to fix it yourself, if you can't, get a book and try it again. then if you can't...take it to a reputable mechanic (they aren't easily found)
Old 12-30-2005, 03:59 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Dude, I dont know what you are complaining about. You got a nice a$$ car. It just needs a little elbow grease.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:48 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

Dude, I dont know what you are complaining about. You got a nice a$$ car. It just needs a little elbow grease.
How about it? For $4000 grand what do you exspect? That was a ,ore than fair price for the car. It's a used car of course there are going to little things wrong here and there, but I could fix all those problems in a weekend at most. I hope you did'nt screw the seller over on his feedback, he sounded pretty up front about the car.

Quick Reply: bought 88 gt off ebay!BEWARE OF EBAY!