5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Noob tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:10 AM
amnlega

Default Noob tranny question

Alright, i know i am gonna sound like an idiot here, but ive been reading my *** off and cant find a simple explantion or answer for this. How does a c-4 transmission work. A few days ago someone told me that it was just like in his wife's mistsubishi eclipse or spyder or something, where there was no clutch and you just throw through the gears. All the articles online say that the c-4 is an automatic. Im so damn confused. If the c-4 doesnt work like this, what would a good "clutchless manual transmission" (as he explained it) be? Its gonna be a street/strip with a 351w at least. Thanks, sorry i knwo i am an idiot.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:07 AM
chord509
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Noob tranny question

The C4 IS an automatic transmission. I'm not familiar with a clutchless manual tranny.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:15 AM
90lxrider
2nd Gear Member

ive never heard of a clutchless auto.....i think hes blowin smoke up ur a**. the only way that u would through through the gears is if u have a manual valve body on your automatic
Old 01-02-2006, 05:16 AM
90lxrider
2nd Gear Member

my bad clutchless manual.....sry.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:55 AM
amnlega

I got this off of mitsubishicars.com
"Clutchless Manual Shift Mode
Car buyers who have trouble choosing between automatic transmission or manual transmission can have the best of both with Sportronic® 4-speed transmission with Adaptive Shift Control. Its clutchless “manual†shift mode offers easy, race-inspired shifting without having to operate a third pedal. By eliminating the usual “H†pattern shifting method, Sportronic's™ sequential shift pattern facilitates lightning-quick shifts. When in Sportronic's® clutchless manual shift mode, getting from gear to gear is as simple as pushing the shift lever forward to up-shift or pulling back to downshift."
Thats what he was talking about in his wife's mitsubishi eclypse spyder. I dont have a problem driving a stick at all, it just seems liek that would be alot quicker with out sacrificing a split second of clutch work. I should have posted this with the origional article, but couldnt fint it. Didnt the classic mustang have something like this? I know i saw something similar to this in my boss's 454 chevelle. At least it had all four gears on the panel and it was automatic. If you guys say that there is no such thing for a mustang, i believe you. Not trying to negate you all or anything, just trying to resolve this. Im sure if there was something it would be EXTREMELY pricey. Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:00 AM
ACE
4th Gear Member

yeah that clutchless stuff is like the tiptronic in the vdubs and in the ferarri have those paddles on the wheel? they do make em but C4 doesnt have that. its hard to explain and im pretty sure that older cars didnt have this unless your thinking of a slap shifter or an B&M type of aftermaret rachet shifter from what your explaining.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:51 AM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

C-4's also suck for street use, everywhere you go your tach'n real high
Old 01-02-2006, 06:21 PM
amnlega

thanks for the posts! if not a c4, whats my best bet?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:33 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

Basically they have a center console in your car where the automatic shifter is, it has your normal auto gear park drive 1 2 and reverse, next to the D gear there is a spot where the shifter can be moved to the right, this is when your car goes into manual mode, the tranny will allow u to do this even while your moving, and it will select the correct gear for your speed, from this point u just bump the shifter up or down to shift no clutch needed since your still using an automatic. These trannies are fun to have because u get the feeling of controlling power yet u can also have the drivability in trafic. The down side is the shifts are much more delayed on the manual side of the transmission, some of these trannies u can bump and wait 2-3 seconds before it registers and shifts a gear, this is no good if your trying to do redline shifting.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:34 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

a c4 is a great auto....no od so final drive is 1:1

for a racecar they are awesome....very strong and super light.

a clutchless manual is big $$$$$$

you'll never break it, they are made for like 1200-2000 hp

depends on exactly what you want it for....

Quick Reply: Noob tranny question