5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oh noooo

Old 01-02-2006, 12:09 PM
jpirate

Default oh noooo

Well, My daughter wrecked her 88 gt thursday.I just put that triax shifter in it on christmas that you guys recommended and now I have ALOT MORE work to do.Toyota camry in front of her slammed on the brakes because they missed their turnoff at 45 mph and she hit the back of them.She has a sore neck and shoulder from seatbelt and her boyfriend who was in the passenger seat braced his arm against dash just before collision and broke both bones in his right forearm.The old guy in the toyota was not injured.Thank god there were not more serious injuries.Christina was charged with the accident so with the insurance we have we have to fix the car ourselves.She is just sick over her boyfriends injury and the car,and has been tearfully hoping that I can fix her car.She wanted a stang forever and this is her first car.I was hesitant at first to get a fast car,but she is very responsible and she only races it on test and tune night at our local track.She was not speeding when the crash happened speed limit there was 45,I know she would never do anything to take a chance on crashing that car intentionally.It is the love of her life(much to boyfriends dimay,lol).I have been a mechanic for 23 years,all gm dealers.I have not done much body work at all.This should be a challenge.I have digital pics to post but it won't let me,file too large and I don't know how to alter it.
jim
Old 01-02-2006, 12:25 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

Default RE: oh noooo

thats sucks im glad that injuries werent to bad
Old 01-02-2006, 12:25 PM
RacerX
2nd Gear Member

body panels(fenders,bumpers doors etc. )are pretty easy to replace yourself. Always have to keep on guard on the road. Never know when some idiot will make a mistake. So, they must of charged her with following to close. Make sure you get her to help!!! She will thank later,great for hands on experience!! Good luck!!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:50 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

You could junk the car and then replace it.
You'll not be able to replace the daughter......
Old 01-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

glad to hear the injuries are minor, cars can be replaced family and friends cant. i had something like that happen to me also. luckly i did not hit them.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:53 AM
5.0family
2nd Gear Member

well at least no1 got hurt bad, body is not a hard as every1 say just spend the money to buy quality replacement parts and fenders are a pain to line up some times and invest in bondo, remember when ppl say a car has curves when using bondo use your hands like your with a women (odd comparison but very similar) and follow the contour of the car and make as smooth as possible. i would invest in fiberglass replacement b/c they are easier to repair and dont rust. as for the accident take her out in your car the worst thing for a driving in a accident is not to get behind hte wheel and become affraid of it hope every1 gets better and the stang too good luck and with the body take your time
Old 01-04-2006, 12:08 AM
5.0_PR
1st Gear Member

I'd do the math first. If parts and bodywork are huge, just part the car out, then look for another one. Or, find one that needs minor work and piece it together. You'll always be able to find another GT. Good luck and glad they're ok!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:12 AM
blackychan 111

ORIGINAL: 5.0family

well at least no1 got hurt bad, body is not a hard as every1 say just spend the money to buy quality replacement parts and fenders are a pain to line up some times and invest in bondo, remember when ppl say a car has curves when using bondo use your hands like your with a women (odd comparison but very similar) and follow the contour of the car and make as smooth as possible. i would invest in fiberglass replacement b/c they are easier to repair and dont rust. as for the accident take her out in your car the worst thing for a driving in a accident is not to get behind hte wheel and become affraid of it hope every1 gets better and the stang too good luck and with the body take your time

yeah i agree with 5.0family
It's good that no one was seriously injured but maybe your daughter became frightened of driving. I'm not saying that she's not stron willed but first take her out in your car and see if she's fine to drive
Old 01-21-2006, 12:19 PM
jpirate

Thanks for the well wishes,everyone seems ok with the exeption of her boyfriends arm,but it's healing.We stripped all the bent sheet metal from the car and took it to the body shop at the dealer I used to work at to see if they could straighten the bent framerail and core support.The left rail is pushed in like an accordian and bent up,the core support is bent up to the hood.The body shop said they can't straighten it but they could weld new framerails on the car from a donor car.The problem is that it will cost around 1000 dollars,and that,s with no ticket and paying the guy on the side.We don't have alot of money so I'm thinking of buying a cheap 4 cyl stang and swapping over her v8 , manual trans, suspension,and gt body kit.There are 2 of these cars near me for less than 500 dollars,one even has decent paint.So what do you think?How hard is this swap?Has anyone here done it? thanks jim
Old 01-21-2006, 12:51 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

a friend of mine did a v8 swap in a 4 cyl, its def. a bit of work, you'll need the
computer and harness out of the '88 and the trans, the rear ect...
try this to resize your pics
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oh noooo