5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Temp. Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Stang_GT_91
2nd Gear Member

Default Temp. Gauge

my temp gauge always reads low its never at normal i constantly check the radiator(which is perfect) but on the other hand am constantly refillin the overflow bottle wich seems to get empty often. i know the gauge moves butit either stays at the 1st mark or below should i get it checked or its ok?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:45 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Temp. Gauge

mine did that when my heater core was bad i guess cause it had air in the manifold and wasnt reading accurate i was also had to add coolant often
Old 01-10-2006, 03:41 AM
ballzoutstang875.0
2nd Gear Member

wow, wanna trade mustangs? all of my 5.0's are notorious for overheating... i would like to have one that stayed down where it should be on the temp gauge. lol
Old 01-10-2006, 03:59 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Stang, are you smelling any funny smells when you open the hood? That could be another symptom to help us diagnose.

I wouldn't worry too much about filling the overflow bottle. In fact, odds are you are wasting fluid by refilling that. ALWAYS check your fluid level in the radiator for a true fluid level check (and of course ALWAYS do this when it's cold - boiling hot antifreeze makes for a TERRIBLE fashion accessory!)

Back to the situation at hand. I figure you have one of two problems:

1) you have a faulty sending unit. Those things are EASY schmeezy to replace. Pull it out, take it down to the local auto parts store (in a different vehicle ) and match it up - I always like taking the old one in. Nothing like some jackhole at the parts counter telling me it'll work and get home and it's metric or some stupid stuff. Put some teflon tape on the new one and screw it back in. Literally less than a 10 minute job once you have all the parts. Odds are your sending unit is at the front driver side of your intake manifold, and it should be a little brass looking doodad with an "L" shaped wire attachment on the top of it. I think it's an orange wire with a white tracer, but I may be wrong about that. Don't get too caught up on that color - it'll be obvious when you see it. This would be the easy fix.

If you do this and you are still registering low then probably

2) you have a bad thermostat that is sticking open and not restricting water flow in the block to maintain a proper operating temp. I ran a 306 once without a thermostat (don't ask) and the motor actually ran at about 140 degrees!!! Crazy, and the motor ran like crap.
Which brings me to my next question: How's the pony running? If you are operating at a too-low temp, that may very well affect other systems (fuel density, mainly, amounts of vacuum present etc.).

Tell uncle pounder a little more about your problem and I bet we'll get it figgered out.......[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 01-10-2006, 06:07 AM
zkit18
1st Gear Member

The part he is describing is the coolant temperature sensor. It is on the metal coolant tubes heading over the lower intake back to the heater core.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Stang_GT_91
2nd Gear Member

well she runs good, but i can smell coolant from outside the car and sometimes when i'm inside the car.
ORIGINAL: groundpounder

Stang, are you smelling any funny smells when you open the hood? That could be another symptom to help us diagnose.

I wouldn't worry too much about filling the overflow bottle. In fact, odds are you are wasting fluid by refilling that. ALWAYS check your fluid level in the radiator for a true fluid level check (and of course ALWAYS do this when it's cold - boiling hot antifreeze makes for a TERRIBLE fashion accessory!)

Back to the situation at hand. I figure you have one of two problems:

1) you have a faulty sending unit. Those things are EASY schmeezy to replace. Pull it out, take it down to the local auto parts store (in a different vehicle ) and match it up - I always like taking the old one in. Nothing like some jackhole at the parts counter telling me it'll work and get home and it's metric or some stupid stuff. Put some teflon tape on the new one and screw it back in. Literally less than a 10 minute job once you have all the parts. Odds are your sending unit is at the front driver side of your intake manifold, and it should be a little brass looking doodad with an "L" shaped wire attachment on the top of it. I think it's an orange wire with a white tracer, but I may be wrong about that. Don't get too caught up on that color - it'll be obvious when you see it. This would be the easy fix.

If you do this and you are still registering low then probably

2) you have a bad thermostat that is sticking open and not restricting water flow in the block to maintain a proper operating temp. I ran a 306 once without a thermostat (don't ask) and the motor actually ran at about 140 degrees!!! Crazy, and the motor ran like crap.
Which brings me to my next question: How's the pony running? If you are operating at a too-low temp, that may very well affect other systems (fuel density, mainly, amounts of vacuum present etc.).

Tell uncle pounder a little more about your problem and I bet we'll get it figgered out.......[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 01-10-2006, 12:34 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

first all stangs need mechanical gauges to really tell you what's going on..also they need atleast a 3 core rad in them
Old 01-10-2006, 12:38 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

I'm with vfast, and I was getting to that. You should get a mechanical gauge.

and a post edit

ORIGINAL: zkit18
The part he is describing is the coolant temperature sensor. It is on the metal coolant tubes heading over the lower intake back to the heater core.
I may be wrong and zkit right. My car is an SN95, and Foxes obviously get their factory signal from a different spot. But I will reiterate with vfast that a mechanical gauge is a very good option and a simple addition, and THAT sending unit would go in the spot I originally identified.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

ford racing rad is good to i have one, i almost never use my fans because the rad is so big, the only time you need fans is when you are drving in town stop and go.