5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

i hate my mustang. won't run right...help?

Old 01-12-2006, 12:57 AM
94gtconvertible
1st Gear Member

Default i hate my mustang. won't run right...help?

ok the tranny (aode) won't go into overdrive, i pulled the pan and the shift solenoid had broken.... i replaced it, now the car runs like crap. it ran like this when i first bought it, i took it to a shop and 20min. later it ran fine when i picked it up and he couldn't say What he did.

anyways i don't know if overdrive is fixed but i spent part of the day under a car replacing the stupid shift solenoid, put it all back together and it runs HORRIBLE, runs fine for the first 1-2 seconds then bogs out.

BUT if i go into test mode...KOER, it runs great.... but if i take it out of test mode runs like crap.

i get Codes:

136 R Heated exhaust gas oxygen sensor fault during KOER indicated lean bank #2

and

624 O,C Electronic Pressure Control solenoid circuit fault

where the hell is the electronic pressure control solenoid?

any help?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:01 PM
92TitaniumGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: i hate my mustang. won't run right...help?

throw that aode in the gutter and but a nice t-5 !
Old 01-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94gtconvertible

i get Codes:

and

any help?
The EPC is the solenoid that controls hydraulic line pressure in the tranny. It is located in the valve body. Reads like you may have caused a wiring problem, when you worked on the O/D problem and, the solenoid is not "responding" to the ECM control (open or short wire to the solenoid). Check the tranny connector, to make sure there is not a connection problem, open wire, shorted wires...if it checks out ok,....you would need to check the wiring harness inside the tranny and the solenoid connection.....the problem with this code is that, if not corrected, the system goes into a "limp mode" strategy in the shifting pattern and it runs like **it...you could also cause more damage to the clutches if you continue using it like that.......sorry man....my 2ยข. LUK
Old 01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
94gtconvertible
1st Gear Member

actually i bought the car wrecked and the forklift operator somewhere along the line pushed the pan up and broke 1 solenoid and the wire harness, i spliced them back with very good connectors but perhaps it's not getting a good connection..
Old 01-17-2006, 04:13 PM
94gtconvertible
1st Gear Member

connection to the epc is good...is it likely that the epc went bad? i got a "new" one from the junkyard, but it's a bitch to take off/put on...
Old 01-17-2006, 04:19 PM
94gtconvertible
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92TitaniumGT

throw that aode in the gutter and but a nice t-5 !
if i could find everything needed for the swap...for cheap...i would.. also it's my g/f's mustang (mine is a 95..gt convertible..5spd) and she wants auto.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:54 PM
94gtconvertible
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

i get Codes:

and

any help?
The EPC is the solenoid that controls hydraulic line pressure in the tranny. It is located in the valve body. Reads like you may have caused a wiring problem, when you worked on the O/D problem and, the solenoid is not "responding" to the ECM control (open or short wire to the solenoid). Check the tranny connector, to make sure there is not a connection problem, open wire, shorted wires...if it checks out ok,....you would need to check the wiring harness inside the tranny and the solenoid connection.....the problem with this code is that, if not corrected, the system goes into a "limp mode" strategy in the shifting pattern and it runs like **it...you could also cause more damage to the clutches if you continue using it like that.......sorry man....my 2ยข. LUK

Hey,
i haven't driven it more than 15' since it started running like crap. i hooked up the "new" epc and i still get the same error, i checked the harness wires (at the harness) between the spliced in spot and before it and they're good, i do a KOEO test with my multimeter hooked up to the EPC wires and during the koeo test, no voltage is registered...should there be? if so i'm assuming a blown fuse or a bad wire somewhere in the harness?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Hey,
i haven't driven it more than 15' since it started running like crap. i hooked up the "new" epc and i still get the same error, i checked the harness wires (at the harness) between the spliced in spot and before it and they're good, i do a KOEO test with my multimeter hooked up to the EPC wires and during the koeo test, no voltage is registered...should there be? if so i'm assuming a blown fuse or a bad wire somewhere in the harness?
The problem could still be the "new" EPC as well (forgot to mention it in the PM), used parts are not very reliable, specially transmission solenoids (BTSTDT). Wiring might need tracing,...I would also check the damaged area, the tranny internal wiring assy. might need to be replaced. LUK(=Let Us Know)
Old 01-19-2006, 11:13 PM
94gtconvertible
1st Gear Member

well...i checked everything, wires were good, continuity was fine, epc ohmed out fine, everything was in order, i said *********************************** you mustang, and put it back together... fired it up to put it in the..."screw it, get rid of it" pile (which has 4 vehicles in it already hahaha..), and it ran fine..hmm, so i cruised...overdrive works, car runs properly....no clue what was done but me so happy!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

..."screw it, get rid of it" pile (which has 4 vehicles in it already hahaha..),
Lol how many times have I said that and I still have the freakin car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i hate my mustang. won't run right...help?