5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

difference between GT and LX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 03:36 AM
slvrslggr18

Default difference between GT and LX?

can someone breifly tell me the difference between the LX model and the GT model?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:51 AM
Predator
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: difference between GT and LX?

Not much difference at all, it is really just all cosmetic. The GT is a hatchback style witht the GT bodykit, while the LX is basically the same body, but it has a trunk and is not a hatchback. This question has been brought up a couple of times, and from what I've read, the appearance is the only difference.

From a pure performance standpoint, both cars are the same, but the GT weighs more due to the bodykit and hatchback.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:23 AM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

the hatchback is actually lighter but if you want the lightest go with an lx notch!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:52 AM
Predator
2nd Gear Member

I was comparing the GT and lx, so basically because the GT is a hatchback and has a bodykit, its heavier than the LX which has no bodykit and less car, because it lacks a hatch.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:08 AM
zkit18
1st Gear Member

the difference is that GTs have a v8 and LXs have a 4 banger. I have sen plenty of LX hatchbacks (same as GT but no ground effects). Though I have never seen a GT notchback.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:19 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

wow weird thread and even weirder answers, a GT has gorund effect and fog lights, it comes in hatchbak or convertible. an LX has not ground effects or fog lights, it comes in hatchback, coupe (trunk.. reffered to as notch) and convertible. they all have the same engine but the LX are lighter. the list (from heaviest to lightest) goes as follows:

-GT convertible
-LX convertible
-GT
-LX hatchback
-LX coupe (notch)

Old 01-12-2006, 07:50 AM
zkit18
1st Gear Member

What do you mean they have the same engine? LX had 2.3L GT had 5.0L engines.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:09 AM
bmnlsc

ORIGINAL: zkit18
What do you mean they have the same engine? LX had 2.3L GT had 5.0L engines.
From 1984 - 1993, you could order an option package on the LX model having the same 5.0L as the GT. The LX model is a street tuner's dream...you are already ahead of the game by having the same GT motor with less weight. I would love to get my hands on a LX notch.

zkit18 - do you think the police version (Special Services - SS) Mustangs are GT's? They began as a modified GL version back in 1982, then they were upgraded with suspension and heavy duty cooling in the LX models. By the way...tell HC_CrAzYHoRsE, that he really doesn't have the 225hp 5.0Liter 302, in his LX and to take off the factory 5.0L on the front fenders.

HC_CrAzYHoRsE - Nice LX!!!

Here are some pictures of LX's:

This is the typical looking LX hatchback:

This is the typical looking SS Mustang (police version):

You can find all the information you want regarding the LX history at http://www.mustangregistry.org

BMN
Old 01-12-2006, 11:01 AM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

Insurance premiums especially for younger drivers is probably the biggest difference. My insurance provider said your lucky its not a GT and I said what is the difference, according to insurance companie's the GT is a sports car and the LX is not. So i didnt ask anymore questions lol.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:17 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

the lx and gt could come in convertable, hatchback and coupe. Both of them could have either body style even though the coupe version of the gt is rather rare. They bouth could have the 5.0 but only the lx could have the 2.3. The GT had some sport options and exterior aperrance differences.

Quick Reply: difference between GT and LX?