5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

last step: heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 03:27 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

Default last step: heads

with my tax returns im gonna be getting a set of heads to finish off my motor. the question is what heads do i want.
the ones im considering are the AFR 185's, Dart Pro1's, and Performer RPM.
basic info on the motor: 308inch, 10.9:1 compression (58cc) XE270HR Comp Cam, Vic Jr intake, 650 carb...
was lookin for some input on which heads would work the best for this combo.
i like the pro1's, saw a test where they were put on a motor similar to mine with less compression and made 52hp more then the stock heads. i dont like the 62cc chambers though.
the performer rpm's look nice but i havent heard much about them.
and you always hear good things about AFR, sometimes i wonder if they'r over rated tho.

any imput is apreciated.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:33 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default RE: last step: heads

dart's and afr's are both bada$$
Old 01-12-2006, 04:02 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

you could try those RHS heads, get a set of the aluminum and have them ported and polished, they probally would easily out flow afr or Trickflow by a lot, they are good heads making there way into the market, and they are priced right. it was like $800 for bare cast iron and they flow the same as AFR's... and like 1000$ for aluminum. Throw in some badass titanium valves and valve springs from comp cams...And those will be some badass heads Im considering them over AFR's for the price and flow they provide, I'd consider them.
RHS WEBSITE

WHERE TO BUY
Old 01-12-2006, 04:06 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

AFR heads are VERY good but yes IMO they are a little over rated. You can get heads from another company that flow just as nice or the same for a little cheaper. Like I said, not bashing on AFR or anything because they are the
**** but sometimes people make them out to be made of gold. But if I were you, yes I would go with AFR 185's
Old 01-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Canfield heads from www.camshaftinnovations.com they come to your door assembled with good parts and the right springs for your cam.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:24 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

TFS Ported or Edel's Ported all the way man!! These 2 ported will outflow mostly anything when they are ported plus the valve, if you want stronger valves get them bare and assemble them. But most people are always in a rush to get them on so if I had more money than time I would go AFR's
Old 01-13-2006, 12:14 AM
zkit18
1st Gear Member

The only problem I have heard about edelbrock heads is the spring cups.
Edelbrock does not use a spring cup, or at least hardened shims, to prevent the valve springs from damaging the soft aluminum. They use soft copper alloy shims with the heads. Such shims should not be used on a performance engine at all, since they cannot tolerate the spring pressures, high rpm, and the hard tool steel spring damper found in most valve springs. Steel heads don't really have this problem. The solution is to disassemble heads and have a local machine shop cut the spring pockets to accommodate a 1.550" diameter hardened spring cup. Edelbrock actually recognizes this problem and if you call their warranty department, they will supply you with the spring cups for no charge. Beware that the cutting process for the new hardened seats requires slightly deepening the spring pocket in the head. This means that when you reinstall the valve springs, they are likely not to be at the same installed height as before. Make sure you check the installed height and if needed install shims below the spring cups to get the installed height within the spring manufacturers specifications.
Also you might want to change the valve stem seals from rubber to teflon. They will last longer.
Ther is an indepth look at it on fordmuscles web page.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:15 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

The thing with afrs is they are cnc machined. Every port and combustion chamber is the exact same as the one next to it. And really afrs aren't that much more expensive then other name brand heads. I think if you want great heads out of the box ready to go get afr's.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:54 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

i was actually lookin at RHS heads but couldnt find any flow numbers though.

basically what im looking for is something that works out of the box, and later on when i change the cam i'll have them ported. that cams the weak point of this motor.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

What about the Jeg's/Kaase heads? I hear they are the baddest boys on the block. Kinda pricey though.

Quick Reply: last step: heads