5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

My new plan for the motor... tell me what you think.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 03:25 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default My new plan for the motor... tell me what you think.

Alright guys, well I found out what I'm going to do with the motor. I'm going to go ahead and replace the lifters sometime after Monday (after I can get ahold of the lifters). After that I'm going to save up to have my stock heads rebuilt (new springs, valve job etc.), have larger valves put in and be ported (I'm going to make some calls and find out how much they are going to charge, I'll bet that I can get it for under the cost of an aftermarket set of heads, if it comes out to be too much, I'll go with the thumper performance heads (reworked E7TE heads), they are alot cheaper than some aluminum heads. I will then save up for an intake and put that on. When the time is right, (around 6 months to a year) I'm just going to have the bottom end rebuilt (timing chain, hi-po cam, rings bearings, pretty much the whole nine yards for the bottom end). After all that is done I should have a pretty stout running stang, sometime after all that I'll probably do the t5 swap or upgrade to a hi-po AOD with a big stall. Maybe then I'll get this ugly paint off my car and have some body work done, until then I don't really care what it looks like .
Old 01-15-2006, 03:29 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: My new plan for the motor... tell me what you think.

the faster it is the less people can see the nasty paint.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:29 AM
Gorg_Stang
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a good idea. Look around Fort Morgan for this stuff, I am telling you its cheap in that area! Oh and paint Larry does that too and he does a great job on it!
Old 01-15-2006, 03:35 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Awesome, well I'm making about 200-300 bucks every other week (I'm a full time h/s student and I work a part time job at McDonald's) so this stuff is going to come in increments very long increments, and after I do the lifters, I'm going to have to replace ball joints. The ball joints won't set me back but 40 bucks or so, plus my tire shop owes me two free allignments, so if I install the ball joints and make a good guess-stimate at the allignment I can just bring it in and have it alligned. After that, I start chasing performance parts again. I agree also on the idea on the faster it is, the less they can see of your car. I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow so you can see exactly how rough the body and paint is, but hell I could care less.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Gorg_Stang
1st Gear Member

So do want me to talk to Larry when I get home from Vegas? If not I will give you his number when I get to Sam's house. YOU SHOULD THE NICE F*CKING CARS HERE IN VEGAS!
Old 01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Oh hell I bet there are some nice cars. If you could talk to larry for me that'd be great, does he do porting work? How about gears? If you can get me a hookup for gears and the install that'd be ****in nice.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:03 AM
Gorg_Stang
1st Gear Member

Yeah he does everything done there. What do you think about a red 5.0 93 for $3500??
Old 01-16-2006, 03:07 AM
91stang
4th Gear Member

the stock heads are so restrictive it's not worth it

it'd be easier to just get new heads and you'll feel better results.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:26 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Well, first of all I don't have 1300 bucks to go dump on heads, second of all they won't be so restrictive if i get the thumpers or get mine ported with a nice valve job.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:47 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

sounds like you have put some thought into your engine unlike some people on here that just throw parts at it and hope it works. Anyways i didnt see that you have a bigger TB on there. Also IMO you need to decide on if you are going to do a T-5 swap or stay with your AOD bc if you go with the T-5 IMO i would go with the 3.55 not the 3.73's you were talking about

Quick Reply: My new plan for the motor... tell me what you think.