5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Looking for about 400+ hp please help

Old 01-18-2006, 01:30 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking for about 400+ hp please help

Ouch thats nuts dude! And you ask how long the block is going to take 550.... Could be one month could be one trip through the gears going hard, they say auto's are easier on blocks when at the limits but with a 5 speed any launch is hard on the block..... You should see the pics of the later model blocks on the coral like 92' and 93's that were pushing 550 600..... Split all the way down the middle and around.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:43 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Ok for schwindty, The cost of the kit was a little on the high side. I paid $5700 to my door. But I did upgrade a fews things and added a cluctch and clutch cable.

To sanchez, Currentyly I don't have any mods to engine. This turbo will be the first and only performance mod I have. As you can see in my sig, I have worked the suspension. I have also stiffened the chassis. I basically got my car ready for this. Upgraded cooling system as well. The turbo I got was a 66mm instead of the 60mm.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:47 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Thats alot of money, but once you hear that turbo it will all be worth it
Old 01-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

Upgrading the cooling system was a very smart move, and something I'll have to address when it warms up around here. Sounds like you're on the right track. Did the kit come with an AFPR, or do you already have one? How about a heat shield, or any kind of header wrap etc.? Who do you plan on using for the tuning?
Old 01-18-2006, 02:02 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Oh Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllll F***ing yeah it'll be worth it. I've been jittery for the last couple of days waiting to put it in.

Sanchez, I don't have any heat shield or header wrap but everything in the kit that gets hot has been Jet-Hot coated. Headers, compressor housing, piping, etc. Part of the HP kit. Pretty sweet I think. THat was one of the reasons I went with them. What do you mean AFPR? And as for tuning, I had posted a question in the Pipes, boost, and juice forum asking if anybody knew where to tune it down here in South Florida. i didn't get any responses so I figure no one is from down in my area. I know that there is a guy that does professional tuning that jumps from shop to shop and you have to make appts with him but I have only heard about this guy from my GM loving buddies so I don't know if he'll touch my car or not.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:06 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

AFPR= Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
Old 01-18-2006, 02:13 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Oh sorry my bad. Yes the kit brought one. And actually I upgraded to the billet one as well as the billet bov. The regulator is a Kirban. Is that a good brand or not? I'm not to familiar with the fuel pressure regulators. I've heard the name before but don't remember if I heard good or bad things about it.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

The Kirban should be a good regulator. I'm using the Aeromotive, and may be having a slight problem with it. I'm trying to troubleshoot a couple other things before pointing my finger at it though. Make sure you find a good tuner. I'd recommend putting the car on a trailer, and hauling it somewhere as soon as the kits on. I would think there would be plenty down around your area?
Old 01-18-2006, 02:28 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Well tuning won't be for a little while. The MAF sensor is calibrated to the injectors so the AFPR will only be for fine tuning. I'll probably just run slightly rich so I don't lean out. I figure it is better to run slightly rich instead of slightly lean. This is my only driver so I'll have to drive on it for a little while.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

Have you talked to HP about their suggestion on getting the car tuned? It's not something you'll get done just for power, it's going to dramatically help drivability. I know when I first got my kit on, it was barely drivable, hardly idled, it cut out, backfired horrendously and would die etc. Playing with the timing and fuel pressure helped some, but it never ran good until it was properly dyno tuned. I know I've read alot of stories about people getting their kits on, and drivability being bad. Seems like it's par for the course.

Do you have a wideband? If not, it's going to be impossible for you to determine how rich, or how lean it's running. I know how much turbo stuff is, and seeing how this is your daily driver, I'd hate for it to lean out on you under boost and .......... BOOM!!! I would just have to recommend it as a calculated expense for going turbo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for about 400+ hp please help