5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Questions for you Techies

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 05:26 PM
RabidSmurf
1st Gear Member

Default Questions for you Techies

Ok, I have been reading the forums alot lately. Researching what mods I want to start with on my stang, and I think I have compiled a list of modifications I want to do to my car, I will be leaving the engine stock until the time comes when it needs a rebuild. Now I use my mustang as a daily driver, and lots of times I am on the highway travelling between cities. I need it to be reliable as fuel efficient as possible, but I would also like to get a bit more power out my 88 LX 5.0 AOD. So here is my proposed, hypothetical list.

Mac Shorty Equal Length Headers
Offroad H-pipe 2.5"
Flowmaster Catback 2.5" exhaust Kit.
3.73 Ring and Pinion set for my 8.8"
Cold air Intake kit (not sure what brand yet).

I will also be making other modifications such as subframe connectors, new shocks, rims tires, etc.

Anyway my questions are: With the above setup on my otherwise stock 5.0L will I be sacraficing reliability, or engine longivity? Also will there be a noticeable decrease in fuel economy? (not really a big deal) as is I get about 400kms out of 1 tank. About the 3.73 gears, will be speedometer become innaccurate with a new gear ratio? If so will it read faster or slower, and about how much.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions, I couldn't really find the answers searching through the forums.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:38 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Questions for you Techies

I don't like MAC headers. They are individual flanges and will be a PITA if you take them off for any reason and try to reinstall (even for a gasket change). Go with something flanged like a BBK. And IMO, equal lengths aren't worth the added cost (albeit like $10) and more importantly hassle of installation for maybe 1-2hp. Don't bother with a CAI. They are for looks. If it's not fenderwell, then you are sucking in engine heat (not exactly cold air). If it's fenderwell, then it isn't going to beat a stock airbox enough to warrant the price (or necessarily beat it at all). I've went mid-11s through my stock airbox.

The gears willl amke your speedometer read higher because the motor is turning more rpm. You can replace the gear to correct it. I don't believe it will affect your mileage in any way you can't tolerate (maybe 1mpg). If it does, it's not the gears. It's your foot because the car is now more fun.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:45 PM
RabidSmurf
1st Gear Member

Wow thanks alot, so scrap the CAI. thats now scratched off my list. You say equal length headers are not worth the extra money for the 1-2 hp gain? And that I should look into a set of Unequal length headers, possibly BBK?

A friend of mine recomended the mac headers because they are cheaper, and he says he has never had a problem with them although they make changing sparkplugs a bit of a *****.

If you could direct me to where I might be able to see a price for those BBK headers that would be awesome

Thanks alot for the advice

Edit: What about the MAC unequal length headers.. If I went with those instead of the equal length I would save almost 120 dollars.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:51 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

You can get BBK through Jegs, Summit, Brothers, etc. just to name a few. Also, I would go with the equal lengths. Also, I would not go with MAC headers, they are a pain in the rear to install/uninstall (I have MAC LT's). Also, their coatings are horrible. Also, I would do a CAI IMO. You can do a BBK fenderwell intake.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:52 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Just look at Summit or Jegs. Or better yet, pick up any MM&FF or 5.0 Mustang magazine and flip through the pages. If you find some place cheaper, Summit/Jegs will match the price and offer free shipping.

I don't like the MAC even in u/e form just because of the individual flanges. I'd rather have a flanged header. MACs will tend to warp more.