5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

tires wearing uneven...

Old 01-20-2006, 08:20 PM
vballdust

Default tires wearing uneven...

i was looking under my mustang last week and noticed that the inside of the rear tires are wearing faster than the rest of the tire. what causes this? the car has no suspension mods so far. can a simple alignment fix this or does it need more serious attention? i'm seeking wisdom from the mustang gods!!!

thanks in advance
Old 01-20-2006, 08:24 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: tires wearing uneven...

Lower your tire pressure...
Old 01-20-2006, 08:27 PM
vballdust

good idea. i'll go check it....
Old 01-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

inside of the rear tires? did you rotate them from the front and not look at them? thats kinda weried for the rear tires to wear like that, correct me if im wrong here but to much tire pressure is going to wear the middle our not the inside, to little air will wear the out side of the tire, how much air do you have in your tires?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:33 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

[sm=exactly.gif] But if you haven't rotated the tires and they are wearing the inside edge on the rear you have some big problems...
Old 01-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

yeah the rear axle housing is bent it has a lot of toe, it should handle good lol, can we say someone had a flying pony
Old 01-20-2006, 08:37 PM
vballdust

the tire pressure gauge is in the wife's vehicle. i'll check it later. i haven't rotated them since i've had the car! i do have a tread depth checker and the tread is even all around. except for the inside rears.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:47 PM
vballdust

so what does it take to fix a bent rear axle. if that is the case?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:54 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vballdust

A new axle. If axles are bent tires would probably choppy, not just have inside wear. A lack of rotating the tire would do this but I would expect the front to have abnormal tire wear also. If you stick any rear wheel drive car on an alignment rack I can garentee the toe isn't going to be 0* on either side on the rear.

Also if it was over inflated it would wear the center of the tire faster. If it was under inflated then both the outer edge and inner edge would wear faster.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

exactly, but if the axle housing is bent i would like to know how it got that way, because if the car was ever airborn that would not do it becuse it would rinkel the 1/4 pannles and the top becaue of the impact before it bent the axle housing.

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

ORIGINAL: vballdust

A new axle. If axles are bent tires would probably choppy, not just have inside wear. A lack of rotating the tire would do this but I would expect the front to have abnormal tire wear also. If you stick any rear wheel drive car on an alignment rack I can garentee the toe isn't going to be 0* on either side on the rear.

Also if it was over inflated it would wear the center of the tire faster. If it was under inflated then both the outer edge and inner edge would wear faster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tires wearing uneven...