5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

GEAR DRIVE?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Volcom66
2nd Gear Member

Default GEAR DRIVE?!?!

ok so i have my 66 with a 302 and i have my flowmasters and she sounds good and health but recently i got a cracked piston so i have it all apart and i realized the chain i had in there was going u know where! so i was thinking mabey i want a gear drive... i love the sound of a blower but i hate the cost of it lol! i know most ppl i hear that have it loath the sound of gear drive after a week but i want to know is it higher pitch then a blower or what, cuz if it sounds like a blower then count me in! I want my car to turn heads but not make ppl go crazy with the sound so is the "quiet" or "noise" for me?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:14 AM
bz1111
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GEAR DRIVE?!?!

go with the blower not that loud and people can tell your coming
Old 01-22-2006, 10:47 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Gear drives are old technology and are not that good, they can transfer unwanted harmonics through the engine, Besides that, the reason you want one is straight up ricer, no offence, but it's the same thing as a honda with one of those fake turbo things.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:00 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

+1...if you have a balanced motor a gear drive is not the way to go..
if want to be cheesey,about having your car sound like a s/c,without having one...then just get a loud stereo,and download a s/c running then you'll be all set.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Volcom66
2nd Gear Member

well whats the point of getting a good sound system with subs and stuff if you already got one that works works... see my car already sounds and runs good but i dont want it to be the superior noise in my car i just want to hear a little something besides my exaust...i would get a s/c but im spending all my money for my firebird with is made for performance. my mustang is just a toy car to play with if not a gear drive what would be some thing that can make it turn heads but not be like a "rice rocket" i hate damn honda hatchback!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

it is plan stupid to want something like that to make the car stand out, they are really loud, if you want a wine get a kenny bell blower. and spend the money in the stang not the firebird the stang is worth more.

jd said
Gear drives are old technology and are not that good, they can transfer unwanted harmonics through the engine, Besides that, the reason you want one is straight up ricer, no offence, but it's the same thing as a honda with one of those fake turbo things.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:56 PM
ekthrilla
3rd Gear Member

haha. back in the day i used to want a turbo for the sound of the blow off valve. lmao...those were the days
Old 01-22-2006, 10:57 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Gear drives have never been proven to make any more power in an unblown, gas engine anyway......
Old 01-22-2006, 11:36 PM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

yah dude, i agree with jd on this one. no offense but thats real gay to get that just for the sound. yah ur gonna turn heads because of the sound and your gonna think your all cool but then when some one asks u to pop your hood and all they see is a motor, then your gonna look dumb, or your gonna be driving and some civic is gonna be next to u and race u and win, then hes gonna have bragging rites because he thinks that he just beat a supercharged stang. we dont need any more of those kinda people driving around. having a gear drive for that reason is just as bad as those kids with civics that have those whistle things on there exhaust that simulates a turbo spool. POINTLESS
Old 01-22-2006, 11:49 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

ha not to bash on you but around my area the only time i hear those things is in a 350 powered truck or older camaro that looks like garbage and has some form of white trash with a mullet driving it, not saying that you are one but that is literally all i see driving them and theres like 5 around town.

Quick Reply: GEAR DRIVE?!?!