5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mysterious Smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:43 PM
RabidSmurf
1st Gear Member

Default Mysterious Smell

Ok, well I am almost 100% sure that the smell is anti-freeze, because it has a very distinct smell that I know very well.. So here is the problem, the car is fine and runs fine, but whenever I step on it and run it hard, I can smell anti-freeze and my windows fog up. So I am thinking that there is either a small leak in the heatercore or one of the heater hoses is loose and anti-freeze is getting inside the car, although I can't visually see it anywhere....

Any ideas?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mysterious Smell

Yeah check you heater core for sure. Try by passing it and see if the smell goes away then you can point out the problem.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:51 PM
RabidSmurf
1st Gear Member

OK hard to see in this pic because the hose is cut off by the border of the pic but as you can see this particular hose (not sure what it does) comes from the engine and goes to the firewall it kind of forms a loop... This does not look right to me. Thats the way it was when I got the car...

Old 01-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

That looks kinda odd, at least to be because I dont have that in my motor.

Looks like someone broke the heater hose piping and replaced it with a hose. I dont see a return line.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:55 PM
RabidSmurf
1st Gear Member

It doesn't look right to me either, yet the car still puts out good heat, and runs fine and all that.. Could it be the product of a lazy mechanic doing a quick fix?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Yeah because in order to get the line out he would of have to take the upper intake off. I would get it pressure tested to check for leaks.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:01 PM
RabidSmurf
1st Gear Member

Ya... I am thinkin about takin it to a place that knows ford good like a dealership and getting them to fix it properly... Could it harm the motor or car in anyway by driving it like this?? I always check the coolant level I am just wondering if this is a bigger problem then what it seems to be. I also have an old mechanics invoice here that says "Windows were fogging up, did a coolant flush and put in stop leak" So I am thinking maybe that hose piping got broke when he was doing the flush ... Anyway I hope it's not gonna hurt it to drive it like this, but I will take it to a good mechanic asap and get it looked at
Old 01-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Im glad I live in Cali I dont think I could handle the snow. Must be fun doing doughnuts though.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:09 PM
RabidSmurf
1st Gear Member

ya, mustangs are not that great in the snow.. gotta be careful.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:18 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

i'm dealing with 200+ inches of snow, Stang's in storage

ORIGINAL: Black Snake

Im glad I live in Cali I dont think I could handle the snow. Must be fun doing doughnuts though.

Quick Reply: Mysterious Smell