5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

If you buy the Edelbrock Carb...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:30 AM
My85QuarterHorse

Default If you buy the Edelbrock Carb...

Just got my hands on 1985 GT with a Carburated 5.0 Roller.

The mods I know for sure are, It has stock heads, but they were sent to a guy in Louisville Ky who ported, polished, and built the heads. The Cam is either a .498 or a .512.... the guy I bought the car from is checking it. It has Headers, H-pipe, and Flowmasters.

He had just put an Edelbrock performer series carb on it, which comes factory with 100 primaries, and 98 secondaries.....the car was running a little to the rich side. I was talking to a tech on the phone trying to find out which kit I should buy to reduce the jetting. After telling him what Mods I had to the car, he asked what kind of Intake I was running...I wasn't sure so I ran out and looked, stock intake. He gave me the #'s of the recommended intake edelbrock sells for that carb, I ran on down to pepboys and there one sits....159 bucks. While I was at it I bought the edlebrock proflo breather. I swapped out the Manifolds, got rid of the stock breather...and WOW what a difference.

I am putting down 50 feet of stripes in 2nd without trying!!! If you are running a carburated 5.0 and buy the 600 performer series carb and slap it on your stock manifold you will be disappointed. BUY the matched manifold edelbrock recommends.... I wouldn't have thought it would have made that big of a difference and boy was I surprised!!! I was rich as heck, in third while cruising along at the same RPM I could feel the car loading up...every once in a while it would lag then lunge forward, it was THAT rich. I swapped the intake and breather, all better!! I might have even went a tad to the lean side.

Buy the intake with the carb, you are going to wind up going back and getting it anyway, save yourself some time!!
Old 01-28-2006, 03:14 AM
SchoolBoy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: If you buy the Edelbrock Carb...

Witch manifold exactly did you get?

I have the performer 302, that I matched with a 570cfm holley street avenger 4 barrel, can't wait to put it on. It should be a big difference over my 2barrel.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:07 AM
My85QuarterHorse

ORIGINAL: SchoolBoy

I have the performer 302, that I matched with a 570cfm holley street avenger 4 barrel, can't wait to put it on. It should be a big difference over my 2barrel.
Its the Performer 302 intake, Part # is 3721. The pro flo breather I got is part# 1002, its the triangular breather. Sounds like we got the same intake.... It made a huge difference on my car. Im sure losing the stock two opening breather helped lean it out a little...but the Intake made the difference. GOD I LOVE MY NEW PONY!!! I rolled around town for a couple hours....I even let my brother drive for a little while, we were just daring one of the import brats to try it, they never did!!!
Old 01-28-2006, 04:33 AM
SchoolBoy
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: My85QuarterHorse

ORIGINAL: SchoolBoy

Its the Performer 302 intake, Part # is 3721. The pro flo breather I got is part# 1002, its the triangular breather. Sounds like we got the same intake.... It made a huge difference on my car. Im sure losing the stock two opening breather helped lean it out a little...but the Intake made the difference. GOD I LOVE MY NEW PONY!!! I rolled around town for a couple hours....I even let my brother drive for a little while, we were just daring one of the import brats to try it, they never did!!!

It might have, but you lose the cold air coming from the tubes in the fender walls to the dual snorkel air cleaner..... And if your going to get rid of the dual snorkel, my I ask that you send it my way?