5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Brand Quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:54 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Brand Quality

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT
Keith Black is the only one i would say to stay away from, there are better pistons than them.
Ive also heard bad things about Keith Black; but Ive also heard good things but I agree w/ Tim... I would stay away from them if possible. Sorry I didnt say that before.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

thanks for backin me up blue, my uncle ran them in his saac car his 66 gt350 for historic road racing/trans am, and the car ran fine and everything but the rist pin locked up and did not let the piston float so then he started it up one time that was it. all over. but he could not of known what was going to happen you can not see inside the motor, and they did not last long only a few races and they were cracking up, IMO trw is the best next to ross, my uncle runs trws all the time now and has yet to have a problem, and he will tell you what is good or not good because when you run almost 7k all the time for 15+ min thats going to tell you how good something is.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:00 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

what year mustang do you have? For a 5.0, you can get the majority of stuff you need between just BBK and Trickflow and they're great parts (and not too pricey).

Everything on the list is quality stuff, but some is more expensive than others...It all depends what your plans are for your car.

Summit is a great place to buy stuff as far as their prices and only $9 handling charge (no shipping on most), but stay away from their brand if they won't tell you who makes it.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:38 PM
DonovanM

It's a 93 (only has 85.3k miles). I'm only planning on getting around 400-450 rwhp, I'm not really looking to break past that. I want to maintain some civility on the street, but still be able to do decent at the track. I agree, I don't particularly feel like buying something from someone who acts like they have something to hide.

I'm still in the researching stages, but here is what I'm thinking so far:

Stroker kit (w/ 5.315" rods) {Who makes this kit?}
Trick Flow Track Heat intake upper/lower manifold
75mm TB & MAF
Trick Flow 1" intake heat spacer (are these any good?)
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads (should I get it with the O-ring groove or without? and is it worth the extra $$$ for the cnc-ported heads?)
Timing Chain/Geat set
Lightweight underdrive pullies
BBK Equal length headers into 2.5" exhaust witout cats and [insert high flow & good sounding mufflers]
MSD ignition system
190lph fuel pump
24lb injectors
I'm still looking into a new management system for this. Help here would be greatly appreciated.

If I am dreaming about getting those numbers with that setup, let me know. I'd rather find out now than later. Suggestions are more than welcome. I would prefer to keep this N/A, but would not mind a small S/C.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:46 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

DYNO-MAX is no good. Junk of all junk.
Some of the older members may remember 'Cyclone' headers. Dyno-Max is the same company, differant name.
There are much pistons than Kieth Black.
I think (not sure) that 'Trick-Flow' is really owned by Summit, not sure. They are real good products...
Welcome to the world of real cars BTW..........