5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

H pipe delete Q

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 03:36 AM
CustomCaddys

Default H pipe delete Q

Okay so it's my first post on here and hopefully you guys can shoot some answers or even opinions my way, i'll apologize for being 'long winded'
here's the thing, i have an 88 GT with everything on the exhaust stock except the mufflers were swapped to flowmaster
i Definately plan on doing a custom 3" mandrel setup with SLP LM1, O/R X and ceram shorties.

BUT right now i have some 3inch pipe sitting around and i was wondering if anyone really knows what the downfalls would be if i just hacked the pipe just after the first set of cats(where it kinda levels out) and ran straight 3inch from there back to the mufflers? in other words.. no H pipe at all

i will say this is something i want to do, i have experience with custom exhausts, i personally know the sound(loudness) benefits of larger pipe and this will cost me next to nothing to do (cost of reducers mostly)
but should i worry about anything bad? probably HP loss i'm sure, but is that it?

this also kinda brings me back to the age old question (i've noticed in foxes AND in LT1 Bbodies) does anyone honestly know what the cause is for that crackle/popping when you rev in neutral?

i always thought it makes the car sound like a beater when it sputters/crackles at the end but then again.. i've heard SLP LM systems that seem to take that crackle/popping and almost "harness" that and turn it more into a snarl which i love.. weird

but yeah mainly the H pipe question, is what's important.. thanks for any replies guys!
Old 01-31-2006, 03:45 AM
88_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: H pipe delete Q

leave the h-pipe alone or buy an off road h or x pipe. I bought my car with no mid-pipe and it was welded all the way back to the mufflers. It sounded terrible. Unless your pretty modified I don't think 3" pipe will do you any good at all.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:26 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Keep your H pipe on untill you have your aftermarket one. The h and X pipes actually help in scavenging exhaust. Plus no reason to @#$% with your exhaust if your just gonna put an aftermarket one anyway.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:22 PM
eaturls1
1st Gear Member

i wouldnt put 3" on it cuz its prolly goin to rattle like a mother f*cker. it will not do u any good as far as performance and will prolly sound terrible
Old 01-31-2006, 07:52 PM
CustomCaddys

wow this forum moves fast! thanks for the quick replies.. you guys really think it would make it sound bad huh? whats up with the rattle? lol so an offroad X will bolt right up to the factory system then? i swear i saw a company somewhere that had a 3inch O/R X.. can't remember where i saw it
Old 02-01-2006, 04:25 AM
Duffs302
2nd Gear Member

If you do go with a after market H pipe, go H not X for better sound.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:20 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I personally like the h pipe alot better also. Theres a website that has a whole crapload of exhaust combo's. Check it out...

http://mustangexhaust.com/forums/index.php
Old 02-01-2006, 12:25 PM
4eyedfreak
3rd Gear Member

I have never had experiance with x pipe so i dont knwo about it. Can someone tell me why i went with H over x?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:32 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Because they sound a hell of alot better
Old 02-01-2006, 01:02 PM
4eyedfreak
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

Because they sound a hell of alot better
What with the rolling of the eyes i was serious.?

Quick Reply: H pipe delete Q